Gibson Brands Forums

AJ500RC's are in, get 'em now or forever hold your peace!

YerDugliness

Hey there Dugly she is looking mighty fine, you sure you can't send that one across the border for your Canuck pal to give a little try out, for say 6-8 months. You should be here in time to do some white water rafting and to hear my views on her( oh and least I forget to drink some Canadian beers, sorry almost forgot that part).Ship

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey there Dugly she is looking mighty fine' date=' you sure you can't send that one across the border for your Canuck pal to give a little try out, for say 6-8 months. You should be here in time to do some white water rafting and to hear my views on her( oh and least I forget to drink some Canadian beers, sorry almost forgot that part).Ship[/quote']

SHIP!!! So glad to see you here, pal! Now, this one CAN go across national borders....and if I get up that way it will most assuredly be with me! BTW, there are soundbytes on YT for the Breedlove, too.....just search by "Dugly" "Breedlove" "Soundbytes".....just beware, the house was so cold that I couldn't get my hands warm enough to really play well, in fact one of the guys at the Breedlove forum gave me a new nickname....."TheBlueDugly".

I like it!

Canadian beer--YUMMY! I'm all over that one if we manage to connect.....Canadian beer =P~ , some good whitewater kayaking, and some campfire music at night, what could be better (well, we could add some great fishing in there, too 8-[ )????

TheBlueDugly 8-[

One thing I failed to mention' date=' when I tap on the back of the guitar, about midway on the lower bout, it resonates just like a drum-head. [/quote']

Did any of you see a show on TV (DIY?) a year or more ago where they showed a man making a hand built dreadnaught? When he had the body assembled he struck a wooden match, held it a few inches in front of the sound hole, struck the back with a rap, and the force blew the candle out.

I've yet to try this but it was pretty impressive. I also don't know if it really means anything more than the luthier was just showing off. O:) I don't blame him though, he built a beautiful guitar. My apologies in advance for butchering his name, but it was something like Dudelback.

Anyway, it was an interesting multi part show. Catch it if they show it again.

Welll, folks, I just returned from a monthly bluegrass festival in Pearl, TX, and the AJ500RC was quite the hit! Everywhere I carried it, players would stop me and ask if they could play it. The slot-headed 12-freter design gets their attention, then when they hear that tone that comes from the combination of the cedar top and the rosewood sides and back, they are hooked! One guy asked for a trial play and it was 3 hours later when he found me to return it....and he had nothing but great things to say about this one compared to his sitka spruce top/rosewood back and sides Masterbilt. I tell you, those honeyed tones from the cedar are quite enchanting =D> !

I did some very close examination of the AJ this past weekend, too....the Epiphone materials I've read state that the saddle and the nut are bone. I can see some "flecking" like end grain on the ends of the nut, so I do believe that is bone. However, I'm a bit suspicious of the saddle.....if it is bone, the factory in China has figured out a way to produce the most precisely machined bone saddles I've ever seen.....this thing looks for all the world like it is molded plastic. If the saddle is plastic that would be a surprise, especially if the nut turns out to be bone--if Epi were trying to pinch pennies, it seems to me that they would chose the more expensive item, which is the nut, to replace with plastic rather than the cheaper saddle....strange, eh? When I switch out the factory strings, I'll check the saddle with the old hot pin trick and post what I find out...but don't hold your breath! I'm having too much fun playing this thing....it's got a real groove goin'! LOVE the tones this thing produces and the easy way it plays!! My Breedlove is getting jealous!

Dugly O:)

Dugly...

>>>>"The slot-headed 12-freter design gets their attention, then when they hear that tone that comes from the combination of the cedar top and the rosewood sides and back, they are hooked! One guy asked for a trial play and it was 3 hours later when he found me to return it...."<<<<

Seriously??? Or are you joking? If you're serious you certainly are one trusting soul, as they say.

CTF

Dugly...

>>>>"The slot-headed 12-freter design gets their attention' date=' then when they hear that tone that comes from the combination of the cedar top and the rosewood sides and back, they are hooked! One guy asked for a trial play and it was 3 hours later when he found me to return it...."<<<<

Seriously??? Or are you joking? If you're serious you certainly are one trusting soul, as they say.

CTF[/quote']

Yeah, I know the guy well, have played with him in various jam groups many times at this monthly bluegrass event (have you ever read the "Texas Washies" thread over at "the other" forum? It's all about this event), he's one of the most regular attendees. He's even had my Breedlove in his hands (although I was watching and listening to him during that one, sure didn't want to miss what he could do with it!).

He mentioned how much he regretted not getting the AJ500RC instead of the other Masterbilt he owns....in fact, he was just trying out guitars in a music store and was impressed with some of the less expensive Yamahas and when he mentioned that to one of the sales people they steered him to whichever other Masterbilt he now owns as a result of that visit (he didn't know which model, only knew it was sitka spruce top and rosewood sides and back, so I'd suspect it was one of the DR500R models). When I told him about my quest for this guitar, he was surprised but did admit that they had not had one in stock for him to try, or else it would be the model he would own right now.

Had he been an unknown event attendee, I'd have not gotten 10 feet from him!

Dugly :-

Dugly, (and others), As soon as I read in your original post that the AC500RC were again available, I contacted Mark Brody at Sweetwater, as sugested in the post. Mark and another Sweetwater fellow that chimed in, reported that the AC500rc that arrived was on special order and was the only one that came from Epiphone. I asked them to check on future availability and get back to me. A few days later, they called to say that the guitar was indeed discontinued and no longer available from Epiphone.

It' s shame but looks like that's the way it is.

j

Oh, John, I'm so sorry! I really thought that there was a new shipment....you are correct, what a shame!

Yeah, mine had been on special order for over a year, during which time there was a change of reps at Sweetwater when the first resigned and Mark was appointed as my sales rep.....

My sincere apologies for getting your hopes up, only to have them dashed in this manner.....again, I'm sorry!

Dugly #-o

Dugly,

>>>"Yeah, I know the guy well, have played with him in various jam groups many times"<<<<

Gotcha. What was going through my mind was someone who you just met at a festival asked if he could show his friends your guitar and then he's gone for 3 hours!

I sure am glad you are so happy with your AJ500. You certainly had to wait a good while for it.

CTF

Dugly' date=' (and others), As soon as I read in your original post that the AC500RC were again available, I contacted Mark Brody at Sweetwater.... A few days later, they called to say that the guitar was indeed discontinued and no longer available from Epiphone.

j[/quote']

I sent Mark a "Tell me it ain't so!" email, got a voice message from him today, he verified what you had to say. Epiphone verifies that there will be no more of this model avialable.

Sometimes you have to wonder who makes the decisions up at the top.....not only is this a great sounding guitar, it seems to be in pretty high demand around here.

Dugly :-s

Hi All! New to the forum and brand new Masterbilt 12 fret owner (as of 5:15 PM yesterday). I've been looking for one of these for about a year and following your post with a great deal of interest. I got the bad news from Sweetwater as well last week.

I still can't believe I found this guitar! I've been doing this google search daily for months; "Masterbilt 12 fret", with the same out of stock results at Same Day Music and ZZounds. For some reason I searched "Epiphone 12 fret" last week and Guitartrader.com came up! I called and they had only one in stock so I jumped on it. The Rep had no idea what a rare bird it was. I may have got the last one in captivity! I took it out of the box, tuned it and rushed to an acoustic jam we have once a week at a local coffee shop. Man what a great guitar! We have one guy who is an excellent finger picker. Listening to him play my Epi was a real treat. It's a keeper!

Hi All! New to the forum and brand new Masterbilt 12 fret owner (as of 5:15 PM yesterday). I've been looking for one of these for about a year and following your post with a great deal of interest. I got the bad news from Sweetwater as well last week.

I still can't believe I found this guitar! I've been doing this google search daily for months; "Masterbilt 12 fret"' date=' with the same out of stock results at Same Day Music and ZZounds. For some reason I searched "Epiphone 12 fret" last week and Guitartrader.com came up! I called and they had only one in stock so I jumped on it. The Rep had no idea what a rare bird it was. I may have got the last one in captivity! I took it out of the box, tuned it and rushed to an acoustic jam we have once a week at a local coffee shop. Man what a great guitar! We have one guy who is an excellent finger picker. Listening to him play my Epi was a real treat. It's a keeper![/quote']

Hi fastblueheeler,

I recognize you from the Gibson Acoustic forum, I think. Welcome to the Epihone Acoustic forum.

That AJ500RC is an exceptional guitar, isn't it? I got mine like you got yours--googling every day to check availability until a mere two became available on one of ther large internet retailers. The fact that just one or two seems to be available at a time seems to say something about how this guitar is made. I feel very lucky to get one. Even the raptuous way we talk about the sound of this guitar doesn't do it justice. Truly, this is a guitar that doesn't just live up to the hype, it exceeds it.

Enjoy yours.

Red 333

Hi Red, I haven't posted there in a while but that's probably me. Same as you , I feel lucky to have found one! (My wife just rolls her eyes when I say that.) It's nice to have an Epiphone again, haven't had one since the 80's unless you count the garage sale "Slasher" (I think? shaped like a firebird but blue) I bought a few years ago.

Dugly, Congratulations. Its completely gratifying to hear when something finally works out for somebody. The clips on YT sound amazing. I could listen to the lullabye for hours while I work here in the office.

fastblue, congrats on your purchase as well.

Dugly' date=' Congratulations. Its completely gratifying to hear when something finally works out for somebody. The clips on YT sound amazing. I could listen to the lullabye for hours while I work here in the office.

fastblue, congrats on your purchase as well.[/quote']

Thanks, Tynee.....but watch out, that is a lullabye, and if it works, your boss might have other ideas [-X ! The guit does have a well defined top end and such a rich bottom end, doesn't it?

And I'll second the congrats to fastblue, too =D> .....it's great to hear another success story (moderators, would you please have somebody fix the "Dancing" smiley--far left on the bottom row?????) , I'm just afraid there won't be many more of them.

Dugly O:)

Well I've had the opportunity to play the Epi twice in public now. I'm really impressed with it. I also have a Collings D2H and although it doesn't have the bass and volume of the Collings, I can hang in there on the bluegrass tunes. I think I had "a spiritual moment" during "Knocking on Heavens door". I usually play this song up the neck to kind of fill in the holes where others aren't playing - three guitars, couple of banjos and a dobro so it can get kind of busy. I think you called the tone "Honey Dripping" Dugly and that pretty well describes it. Very sweet and it rings out. The action was good right out of the box. Barr chords are fun on this thing. I also play a lot of blues in G capoed at the 3d fret using E shapes. It's really got the sound! I love the wide neck, super easy to play. You're post was the inspiration for finally tracking one of these down - Thanks!

I think you called the tone "Honey Dripping" Dugly and that pretty well describes it. Very sweet and it rings out. Thanks!

Yep, that's about it!

One of my favorite tunes to play is "Temptation", but Tom Waits:

First Verse:

"Rusted brandy in a diamond glass,

Everything is made of dreams.

Time is made of honey, slow and sweet,

only the fool knows what it means."

Here is Dianna Krall's YouTube version:

That's the tone, slow and sweet, although the projection isn't slow, it's quick.....and the further up the neck you get, the sweeter the tones get, eh?

So glad you found one :-s ! I sincerely doubt there are many more out there, you may well have gotten the last of the dying breed =P~ ?

Just curious, what's your take on the saddle, plastic or bone :-k ?

Dugly 8)

Just curious' date=' what's your take on the saddle, plastic or bone [-( ?

Dugly 8)

[/quote']

I think the nut is bone for sure. The saddle, I think, is plastic, given the way it's compensated. Whoever changes strings first should post here after your hot needle test!

Red 333

I'm not sure I like the "no pickguard" but I'm not going to mess with the tone by slapping one on her. I've got a bad habit of "fixing things til they're broke" .

IMHO' date=' you're wise in resisting--read your warranty, they void the warranty for any guitar that is "modified" and I could understand how adding a pickguard could be considered a modification. It might cost you the opportunity to have Epiphone repair, for example, a lifting bridge (a common problem with this model) under the warranty.

I think the nut is bone for sure. The saddle, I think, is plastic, given the way it's compensated. Whoever changes strings first should post here after your hot needle test!

Red 333

I'll certainly do that, pretty soon if I can get Guitar Center to get my DM Alchemy Goldbronze strings delivered (they promised Monday)!

If one were to replace that plastic saddle with a bone piece, I'd suggest retaining the factory saddle in case any future factory warranty service were necessary, that way you could replace the factory saddle back into the bridge slot and would not have your warranty claim refused due to a "modification".

Keep in mind that a warranty is a LIMITED insurance policy--the limitations are spelled out in the insurance policy/warranty statement. Any "insurance company" (in this case, much as is the case with automotive warranties, the "insurance company" IS the company that produced the product) has a vested interest in keeping income high and costs low, and the best way to do that is to use any excuse possible to avoid paying off on a claim. Don't give them that chance, particularly on a guitar as "rare" as this model has become!

Dugly :P

From what I know, two pretty different animals. Both slope shoulder dreads but the Epiphone is Rosewood back and sides and cedar top. The J-50 is Spruce top and mahogany back and sides. The big difference is the AJ500RC we're talking about here has a neck that joins the body at the 12th fret vs the 14th on The Gibson and just about every other acoustic guitar. That's what drew me to it. There's no other 12 fret guitar in this price range as far as I know. You're looking at $2500 and up Santa Cruz, Huss and Dalton, Collings or other high dollar guitars to get one. I don't know about equal in sound. I've got a Gibson J-45 which I think is the same as the J-50 but sunburst instead of natural. If you mean by equal - Does the J-45 sound and play better? To me it does, it's louder with more bass and the treble strings are brighter and it's about $1500 more to buy new. But I like em both. This is the first new guitar I've bought in 30 years. (Yes, Fastblueheeler is very cheap, I always buy used...........til now.) The Aj500M would be the Epiphone equivalent to the J-50.

I'm wondering if I should use 11s to reduce the strain on the bridge. What're you guys thinking?

I'm going to replace the factory strings with Dean Markley's Alchemy Goldbronze, light gauge, 11-52's soon as GC gets them in.....and I'll poke that saddle with a hot pin and let you know how it went.

Dugly :-k

A friend of mine asked me to come with him and his band (bluegrass) to a booking tonight, because one of his band members (the dobro player) said he might not be able to make it, and I could fill in for him. (I also play dobro)

Turns out the dobro player made it, so I didnt have to fill in. But he told me to also bring a guitar if he showed up so I could still play. I brought the AJ500RC. The problem was there wasnt a 6th microphone for me to use.

I was fine with that of course...I just stood next the the dobro player and played. Mostly rythmn and fills, but I took a couple of un-miked breaks.

I asked some people afterwords...They HEARD me!! Un-miked!

I love my AJ500RC!!!

CTF

Archived