Gibson Brands Forums

Wilshire re-issue cherry (newbie question)

altair

Hey all,

I tried using the search function on this forum but it keeps timing out on me, :) so here's a new topic and I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. So here goes:

Hopefully by next weekend I can be the proud owner of an Epi Wilshire re-issue, cherry colored. I had it in my hands at the music store and I really enjoyed how it sounded and played. This will (hopefully!) be my first guitar, yeah I'm noob guitarplayer hehe. I've been playing on an old and worn hand-me-down from a friend for a while, with an equally old and worn amp. I've tried several different guitars at the store but the Epi just caught me. When I have it, I'll post piccies if you like.

So now my question is, which amp would be a good combo with this guitar? :)

My budget is around € 100 - 200. If possible, the amp should have some effects on it because I'm not sure yet what sort of style I'll end up playing most. I'd like to try different sounds.

By the way, there's nearly zero intel on this guitar model anywhere! Which is kinda cool, having a rare/weird/unknown/not-your-standard-dime-a-dozen guitar hehe. :D/

Thanks in advance for your insight and helping a newb out.

Not sure what your currency exchange is, but Fender makes a nice little amp (tube) with effects, called a

Super Champ! 10" speaker, 15 (tube watts). Selling like "Hot Cakes," here in the States! ($299 most places)

which is a really good price, for that amp. But, again...maybe that's a bit more expensive, than you're looking at?

I would really consider (whatever amp you get) buying a good amp, you can grow into, rather than out of...as

it's far less expensive, in the long run, that way. And, even a great guitar, will sound terrible in a bad amp! A

modest guitar, in a good/great amp, does far better! Quite a few people here, have Epi's Valve Junior, as well.

They all seem to really love them! So, that's another good option. Some of the modeling amps (Vox, Line 6 etc.)

might give you what you need, as well. Best thing to do, is try as many out, as you can. See which one "speaks"

to you.

CB

Hi - welcome to the forum.

I hope that your purchase of the Epi Wilshire goes well. I had never seen one before, so I googled it. Nice vintage looks - reminds me of a Burns Sonic.

Anyway, people here are probably fed up of me plugging the Vox AD30VT, but it is an amazing little amp for the money. Excellent tone, and it will satisfy your need for effects. It retails for around £130 here in the UK, which is pretty much within your budget in Euros.

EM_VOX-AD30VT.gif

See: http://www.voxamps.com/us/valvetronix/ad-series/

Thanks all for your replies! The amps look great but unfortunately they're not exactly in my budget range.

Meanwhile I've been surfing the net and come across the Orange Crush 30R. I'll go try it out at the music store this weekend, but do any of you have experience with it? Good or bad?

Thanks all for your replies! The amps look great but unfortunately they're not exactly in my budget range.

If money is really tight' date=' then you could do a lot worse than one of the Crate Flexwave series. I played through one of these at a friend's house the other night, and was pleasantly surprised. The FW15R is very cheap (around £79 or €98) - but is a good solid little amp with a respectable reverb.

[img']http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xEz4UVczL._SL500_AA280_.jpg[/img]

See the Crate webpage for more info: http://www.crateamps.com/products/pindex.php?prodID=11

Again thanks for your help all!

I've contacted the store and they agreed to hold the Wilshire for me, woohoo!

I'm 35 but I feel like a 10 y/o in a toystore.. :D

I'll be going to pick it up this Saturday, and I'll also be trying out the amps you have suggested. If you have any more suggestions please post them, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers!

Archived