This is my first post,so i will show my instruments

Epiphone SG special:

gichasg002wz7.jpg

gichasgnq4.jpg

Roden bass(made in USSR):

1220888235.jpg

1220888244.jpg

So that's all what i have

Now i'm thinking to set up a tremolo on my sg(not now,in future :) )

So wich one is better?

I found a Bigsbys and Les Trem...

And it's true that i can set up Les Trem without drilling?

Thanks!

(Sorry for my english,i'm from Latvia)

Welcome Epiphone Player. The LP tremolo you're refering to, is the one that replaces the bar

on the stop tailpiece, right?! I don't (personally) have any experience, with them, but I do have

experience with Bigsby, and Maestro. NONE of those (LP, Bigsby, Maestro), are for "dive bombing,"

type tremolo effects. They're really just to add a "shimmer," to the tone...kind of "Surf" style..or less.

So, if that's the kind of music you play, they should/will be fine. IF, on the other hand, you like more

the Van Halen and/or "Metal" type effects, you'll need something more like a Floyd Rose, or Kahler style...with maybe

a locking nut, too. But, those would require extensive routing, of the body. So...???

CB

Welcome Epiphone Player. The LP tremolo you're refering to' date=' is the one that replaces the bar

on the stop tailpiece, right?! I don't (personally) have any experience, with them, but I do have

experience with Bigsby, and Maestro. NONE of those (LP, Bigsby, Maestro), are for "dive bombing,"

type tremolo effects. They're really just to add a "shimmer," to the tone...kind of "Surf" style..or less.

So, if that's the kind of music you play, they should/will be fine. IF, on the other hand, you like more

the Van Halen and/or "Metal" type effects, you'll need something more like a Floyd Rose, or Kahler style...with maybe

a locking nut, too. But, those would require extensive routing, of the body. So...???

CB[/quote']

Question: Can the Lp, Bigsby, Maestro be used for something not as "wild" as a dive bombing often (with locking tuners, roller bridge, etc)?

In that case...buy a guitar with a Floyd Rose or Kahler already installed...one MADE for "dive bomb" effects.

If you want a little "shimmer" then add the LP, Maestro, or Bigsby. Otherwise...get one that's made for

Van Halen or similar styles. And, any time you use a tremolo a LOT, there will be some tuning issues. They

may/will be less, with good locking tuners, a locking nut, and a Temolo made for heavy use...but, ANY of them will

have some tuning issues, depending on HOW it's used, and how often, between tunings. Just forget "Dive Bombing,"

with LP, Maestro, or Bigsby's! Not what they're about, or designed for.

Cheers,

CB

i have my strat style guitars set up for floating and do dive bombing and they stay in tune fine. i have one with a wilkinson proper floating trem and i just swapped to ez lok tuners and a steel block but the problem is the nut as it's still a problem as it's binding. i was just experimenting with brylcreem as a nut lubricant. it didn't work though!!! i have some guitar grease upstairs but it's costly better off buying pencils... if your nut is badly cut it seems it doesn't matter what other hardware you have on it. it'll still be out of tune. a trem stabiliser is good for a routed guitar though?

Archived