Gibson Brands Forums

Wildkat string gauges

Guest alanhindle

Guest alanhindle

I'm just wondering what the stock string gauge that comes with Korean made Wildkat is. Les Pauls come with 10s. Do all semi acoustics tend to be fitted with 11s at the factory or are they 10s as well? Presumably the nuts are cut to accommodate one gauge either side of the factory fitted strings.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

DSC01719.jpg

Don't have a Wildkat (yet, anyway), but my Duo-Jet, and Country Gent Gretsch guitars, which both have Bigsby's, have 11's, and seem to love them!

I use 10's on my Gibson's, mostly. Have had 10's on my Strat and Tele, but I'm thinking about going back to 9's...or maybe a hybrid...Skinny top, Heave

Bottom, type...with 9's at the skinny end, and 46-48...maybe, as the Bottom? Not sure yet. 10's seem a bit "stiff" on Fender's..unless you have hands

like SRV, or Hendrix! LOL! Not sure, if it's because of the longer scale, or what?

But, I would think 11's on a "Kat" would be fine...

CB

Don't have a Wildkat (yet' date=' anyway), but my Duo-Jet, and Country Gent Gretsch guitars, which both have Bigsby's, have 11's, and seem to love them!

I use 10's on my Gibson's, mostly. Have had 10's on my Strat and Tele, but I'm thinking about going back to 9's...or maybe a hybrid...Skinny top, Heave

Bottom, type...with 9's at the skinny end, and 46-48...maybe, as the Bottom? Not sure yet. 10's seem a bit "stiff" on Fender's..unless you have hands

like SRV, or Hendrix! LOL! Not sure, if it's because of the longer scale, or what?

But, I would think 11's on a "Kat" would be fine...

CB[/quote']

CB, why 9's on the Strat and Tele? I hear more people stating they are using 9's on their Strats and or Teles, but could never figure out why. I use 10's on everything except the Wildkat.

I have 9s on my tele (ok it's a peavey reactor tele clone) but they just feel good on it and can bend alot easier, feels like the 10s on my les paul...tried 10s and they do, as CB said, feel stiffish. BUT the 11s on the Wildkat feel sweet and bend as easy as the 10s on the LP or the 9s on the Tele.

Capt

Yeah, I don't know the reason, actually...other than possibly the longer (Fender) scale length. I have 10's on

both the Strat and Tele, now....but, I played a friend's Strat (with 9's), the other night, and it was a LOT more

comfortable, with bends (as you would expect, with lighter guage strings)...but, it just seemed more

lively/playable, overall...with that guage. As I stated previously, ALL my Gibson's have 10's and they

feel great! My Gretsch's (with Bigsby's) have 11's and they feel like 10's or less, even...on those guitars. So...???

CB

CB, the scale seems to be the consensus. I asked the same question on another forum and a few of the responses were the same.

Regarding strings, but a different guitar: I put 10's on that Washburn Idol I just traded for (had 9's) and it made a positive difference. I really like this guitar, it plays easily and sounds great.

I do have to figure out the issue with the tone knobs not being very responsive (almost nil), but I must say it was a good trade.

Archived