Gibson Brands Forums

My 2nd ES-175/VS Reissue

Fadedepi

Hi All,

Some of you may have read my earlier thread, (Gas Relief) about my purchase of a new ES-175 Reissue. I ended up returning it due to shipping damage (broken knob) and poor craftsmanship. This guitar had a laminated Maple (outside) and Mahogany (inside) body. The Epi website says body: Maple, nothing about Mahogany. The neck pick-up sounded a little on the muddy side. Nothing new here, I read about others having the same problem all the time. This is a "Custom Shop Guitar." In general the action and set up on the guitar was good right out of the box.

Now for the replacement guitar I recieved last week.

The guitar arrived undamaged (always a good start) and with better cosmetic appearence than the last. What's interesting here is the differences between the two. This one has an all Maple body, inside and out. No doubt still laminated but, all the same tone wood. The returned guitar had laminate separation issues around the "F" holes. Possibly due to the two different woods used.

When I played the guitar there seemed to less mud using the neck pick-up. I removed the strings and both pick-ups. What I found were two '57 CHB's labeled- Dot Bridge/LP Neck. So, rather than neck and bridge pups, I have two bridge pups. Which is OK because neck pup sounds a lot better. Both guitars are SI Serial No's. (Samick Indonesia)

Amazed, that these two guitars could be so different. (QC?)

Faded....

Does anybody besides me wonder why they couldn't have gotten the shape right? The older Epi ES-295's and Sorrentos had the right curvalicious countours that matched the original ES-175 --- this thing looks oddly misshapen, especially the cutaway horn.

Archived