Gibson Brands Forums

Confused... coil tap question

stumblinman

It is my understanding you can't coil tap a "vintage" humbucker pup (ie: braided shield and single wire). Is this true? Curious about Burstbucker 2 pickup, as I read an ebay auction stating he did this. Haven't explored much, but thought this would be a wise place to start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, as usual.

some have managed to rewire the connects, I've never tried it.

they coils are connected at a point internally and you can break into that and run four wires out.

delicate work, I'd think. lots easier to move to a pup made that way.

TWANG

It is my understanding you can't coil tap a "vintage" humbucker pup (ie: braided shield and single wire). Is this true? Curious about Burstbucker 2 pickup' date=' as I read an ebay auction stating he did this. [/quote']

Yes it can be done. Technically it's really a 'coil-split'. The Burstbuckers fitted in Gibsons are 2-wire, the aftermarket BBs 4-wire.

some have managed to rewire the connects' date=' I've never tried it.

they coils are connected at a point internally and you can break into that and run four wires out.

delicate work, I'd think. lots easier to move to a pup made that way.

TWANG[/quote']

It can be done and I've done it on surplus oem Epi asian p_ups, after being

replaced.

The connection between the two coils is under the black tape..however,

you will have a hard time unravelling to split up that connection on #42awg.

Any slight amount of tension on the connection and it will break.

Just removing the black tape can cause the coil winding to break or scraping away

at the wax to get at the connection.

It can be done, but it's a delicate operation and it's hardly worth it, considering all the trouble

one has to go through and the equipment required.

You would need a good magnifier to see the ends, a very fine tip soldering iron to

re-establish the new connections,scraping the enamel insulation off the two wires without

breaking the two fine wiresover and over, and providing some kind of

strain relief for the new external wires ( hot glue gun) to connect them to the #42,

as any tugging on those and the #42 connection will break again,before you get the cover on.

Then there is the reliabilty factor..if you are not experienced at this finicky kind of work,

can you really trust your soldering?

Archived