Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone know if Epi LP's have full maple tops?

oneblackened

My 1999 LP LE has a thin veneer flame top on maple or alder; I think its alder. I have been wondering about this because others have commented about plywood tops, etc. and I found that hard to believe, but hey, cheap guitars. When I last changed the strings I removed a pickup and sanded down to the wood in the cavity to see what a crossection looked like. It is solid wood with a veneer, but I couldn't see enough of the grain to tell if it is maple or alder. I suspect alder because my Gibson has a solid maple top and you can see more of the grain in the maple. The two guitars sound amazingly similar so I don't know how much difference the maple makes over the alder anyway. As you would expect, the flame on the gibby is much nicer than the flame on the epi.

Has anyone verified plywood or is that a forum legend?

My 1999 LP LE has a thin veneer flame top on maple or alder; I think its alder. I have been wondering about this because others have commented about plywood tops' date=' etc. and I found that hard to believe, but hey, cheap guitars. When I last changed the strings I removed a pickup and sanded down to the wood in the cavity to see what a crossection looked like. It is solid wood with a veneer, but I couldn't see enough of the grain to tell if it is maple or alder. I suspect alder because my Gibson has a solid maple top and you can see more of the grain in the maple. The two guitars sound amazingly similar so I don't know how much difference the maple makes over the alder anyway. As you would expect, the flame on the gibby is much nicer than the flame on the epi.

Has anyone verified plywood or is that a forum legend?[/quote']I've never heard of them using ply; I assumed the Mahogany body had a carved top with a veneer over it.

elitists = 3/4" solid maple top over 1 piece 'hog body.

everything else = veneers over (and under) various mystery woods (depending on model, and what passes for 'hog these days), possibly in layers. i think.

love,

eor

My 2007 LP Ltd Edition in Natural Finish has a 10mm (3/8") maple (Confirmed by Epiphone and double checked by local luthier) cap with a very thin flame veneer.

I guess it depends what they've got stocks of lying around when they make them.

I'm pretty sure, at least the older MIK ones had a maple cap. Then later they went Alder/ Maple cap. Some say its just Veneer but i'd like to think it's more then that. But now being MIC who knows. Any one with a MIC ever check to see? Stan. Edit.. I see wiggy checked and thats what i was told about my 98 Epi Les Paul when i bought it. 3/8s maple vs 1/4 on Gibsons or something like that.

Archived