Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone "Howard Roberts" HR-1 - Year?

zackdadams

Posted this in acoustic section, was requested I post here in electric forums.

I'm looking for some information on an Archtop guitar I recently got. So far i've found out it's a "Howard Roberts" model. I've consulted Gibsons serial number chart, but I can't find anything definate. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Note: It has electric pickups.

Model: HR-1

Serial: E920016

Made in Japan

j5i0et.png

2utm0zt.png

347k2er.png

34j5fuc.png

I had a Gibson version of the same. If I recall correctly, it was produced around 1954 (a VERY good year!). Known for tons of feedback. I knew of musicians that stuffed the sound box to reduce it to a manageable level. Mine, with the volume at 2, would start to hum and grow louder and louder just sitting on a guitar stand with the amp turned on until it started to squeal.

The Epiphone model may have been made in 1974. There may have been some re-releases of the same.

The original Howard Roberts model was introduced by Epiphone in 1964, not 1954, and was produced in Kalamazoo until 1967. Gibson later issued a fancier version (including the Epiphone-style vine-motif headstock). Yours is a Japanese reissue from Matsumoku, and likely from the 80's.

The original Howard Roberts model was introduced by Epiphone in 1964' date=' not 1954, and was produced in Kalamazoo until 1967. Gibson later issued a fancier version (including the Epiphone-style vine-motif headstock). [/quote']

Bang on! Parabar. The '65 Epiphone catalog shows the Howard Roberts Custom with the ES-175 tp.

We started carrying Epiphone line here in Ottawa in '65. My boss got a Howard Roberts custom (black) in 66.

It had the fancy vine headstock. He died a few years ago..and I don't know what happened to it.

I'm sure it's worth quite a bit today.

Thanks for the info guys.

So' date=' should I contact Gibson themselves for a definitive answer? I'm mainly trying to hammer down a year, which of course will drastically affect it's value.[/quote']

Well, it's not a Gibson or Epiphone made by Gibson in Kalamazoo, so I don't think you can

get very far inquiring through Gibson, as they probably don't have a record

of those serial numbers, only Imperial in Japan might, but it doesn't hurt to try.

If it was a vintage Howard Roberts Custom, then you would definitely have something

of great value, because there weren't that many HR Customs made back in the late '60s.

Here's what a vintage one would look like...

http://vintageguitarz.blogspot.com/2008/04/1967-custom-epiphone-howard-roberts.html

IMO, as far as being made by Imperial it's probably a nice and playable guitar, but the value would

not be the same as one made by Gibson/Epiphone in the US back in the '60s,

The tuners are wrong, and the Epiphone headstock name in script is not quite the same,

and the vine design is a bit different than the HRs made in the US.

Perhaps Epiphone allowed the guitar maker some leeway in those things.

There's somebody on Ebay trying to sell an Imperial Japan archtop for $349

and claiming it's '66-'69 vintage.

Archived