Gibson Brands Forums

Tried a Gibson LP studio today

Guest alanhindle

Guest alanhindle

In passing, I had a chance to try a new Gibson Les Paul Studio (Black with gold hardware) today. I've been GASing for a Gibby studio for a while now and thought I'd see how it compared with my EE manufactured Epi LP Standard Plus.

Here are my conclusions:

-Firstly, the nut was cut VERY poorly. The strings were packed so tight in the slots that at least three were binding- pinging away like crazy. It was impossible to keep in tune. OK it can be fixed but I expected better.

-The action was quite low and comfortable but, then again, my Epi LP is just as fast and comfy; albeit with a slimmer flatter profile. Perhaps the fretboard felt a bit smoother on the Studio, although its more rounded profile could have accounted for this. The Studio's neck felt a bit wider than the 50s neck on my Gibson SG special but was still quite nice. I like either 50s or 60s profiles.

-Even with a bit of bow, there was some buzzing going on there. Nothing that couldn't be sorted I would imagine.

-The finish was nice enough but I didn't notice any appreciable difference compared to my Epi, bar the quality of the electronics being lower on the Epi.

-The pickups were nice (hotter than on my Epi LP) but nothing special on the Fen**r valve amp which was provided (sorry forgot to check which model). I much prefer the pickups on my SG special- brighter and more vintage sounding, and the crisp, growly P90s on my Wildkat are much much nicer too.

-I then turned the amp off and played it 'unplugged'. This killed it for me- It was dreadful! Very thin and tinny sounding. Unplugged, my Epi LP sings like a bird- beautiful thick fat sounding resonance that sustains for ever, even when the strings need changing. No wonder the studio sounded nothing special plugged in. Amplified, it just didn't seem to sustain as much as I'd expected. Maybe the chambered body was the problem or perhaps it just the luck of the draw depending on the slab of wood you get.

-Looks wise, my Epi blows away the Gibson with its lovely flame veneer top, burst paint job and the cream binding.

-Cost wise- about 2.5 times greater for the studio

I know this head to head comparison is hardly a controlled experiment but I'm no longer GASing for that studio.

I'll keep my Epi LP thanks.

Alan

I came across an old beat up 1991 Gibson LP Studio a few months back. It was very nice. It doesn't blow my Epis away or anything. I wouldn't say it's better....... just different in a good way.

I got it for $650 with hardshell case so I couldn't pass that up!!!

I'm very happy to have it, and I take it to gigs along with my my Epiphones and I enjoy both!

Actually, I have 3 Gibson Les Pauls and 7 Epi Les Pauls and I enjoy them all equally. I'm amazed at how good the Epis are in comparison.

So when the Gibson vs. Epiphone debate comes up, I just say "They both ROCK!!"

I'm a sucker for a wine red Les Paul Studio with gold hardware... I haven't played one, though.

I played a Faded Les Paul Studio (I think it's listed by MF/M123/Guitar Center as "Les Paul Faded," but Gibson lists it as a studio), and quite liked it. I don't think it was quite worth $900, but if it were $500, I'd take it. Guitar Center actually had it reduced to that for one weekend last month, but I was short on cash.

Guest alanhindle
I came across an old beat up 1991 Gibson LP Studio a few months back. It was very nice. It doesn't blow my Epis away or anything. I wouldn't say it's better....... just different in a good way.

I got it for $650 with hardshell case so I couldn't pass that up!!!

I'm very happy to have it' date=' and I take it to gigs along with my my Epiphones and I enjoy both!

Actually, I have 3 Gibson Les Pauls and 7 Epi Les Pauls and I enjoy them all equally. I'm amazed at how good the Epis are in comparison.

So when the Gibson vs. Epiphone debate comes up, I just say "They both ROCK!!" [/quote']

I agree entirely. Both makes do indeed rock. I love my Gibson SG faded just as much as I love my Epi LP. Indeed, it's a fine, superbly finished example with exquisite tone. I was just a little disappointed with the Gibby studio I played and that experience has killed my burning desire to own one. Maybe next time I get chance and a bit more time I'll check out one of the unchambered Gibson LPs.

By the way Dave, I checked out your youtube webpage from your signature. You're a very versatile player and your band is great. Rock on indeed!

Alan

I'm a sucker for a wine red Les Paul Studio with gold hardware... I haven't played one' date=' though.

I played a Faded Les Paul Studio (I think it's listed by MF/M123/Guitar Center as "Les Paul Faded," but Gibson lists it as a studio), and quite liked it. I don't think it was quite worth $900, but if it were $500, I'd take it. Guitar Center actually had it reduced to that for one weekend last month, but I was short on cash.[/quote']

Every time I see that LP "Faded" (Mahogony) on sale, I'm really tempted to buy it! And I don't

NEED anymore guitars, at all! LOL! But, there's something about it, that seems to appeal to

me...it's simplicity, maybe? Good thing I didn't see it, at $500 bucks, because that would have made

it virtually impossible for me to pass up...needed or not! :>b

CB

MY Gibson LP Studio is just about perfect in action, sound, and general playability. It did require a truss rod adjustment when new. The only reason I play the Epi LP Custom Flametop instead is that I'd rather put the wear and tear on it rather than the Gibson. And then, the Epi is prettier than the Gibby. The Gibby is Wine Red with Gold hardware and the Epi is Heritage Cherry Flame with gold hardware.

The SD Pearlies on the Epi kind of seal the deal as well.

In passing' date=' I had a chance to try a new Gibson Les Paul Studio (Black with gold hardware) today. I've been GASing for a Gibby studio for a while now and thought I'd see how it compared with my EE manufactured Epi LP Standard Plus.

Here are my conclusions:

-Firstly, the nut was cut VERY poorly. The strings were packed so tight in the slots that at least three were binding- pinging away like crazy. It was impossible to keep in tune. OK it can be fixed but I expected better.

-The action was quite low and comfortable but, then again, my Epi LP is just as fast and comfy; albeit with a slimmer flatter profile. Perhaps the fretboard felt a bit smoother on the Studio, although its more rounded profile could have accounted for this. The Studio's neck felt a bit wider than the 50s neck on my Gibson SG special but was still quite nice. I like either 50s or 60s profiles.

-Even with a bit of bow, there was some buzzing going on there. Nothing that couldn't be sorted I would imagine.

-The finish was nice enough but I didn't notice any appreciable difference compared to my Epi, bar the quality of the electronics being lower on the Epi.

-The pickups were nice (hotter than on my Epi LP) but nothing special on the Fen**r valve amp which was provided (sorry forgot to check which model). I much prefer the pickups on my SG special- brighter and more vintage sounding, and the crisp, growly P90s on my Wildkat are much much nicer too.

-I then turned the amp off and played it 'unplugged'. This killed it for me- It was dreadful! Very thin and tinny sounding. Unplugged, my Epi LP sings like a bird- beautiful thick fat sounding resonance that sustains for ever, even when the strings need changing. No wonder the studio sounded nothing special plugged in. Amplified, it just didn't seem to sustain as much as I'd expected. Maybe the chambered body was the problem or perhaps it just the luck of the draw depending on the slab of wood you get.

-Looks wise, my Epi blows away the Gibson with its lovely flame veneer top, burst paint job and the cream binding.

-Cost wise- about 2.5 times greater for the studio

I know this head to head comparison is hardly a controlled experiment but I'm no longer GASing for that studio.

I'll keep my Epi LP thanks.

Alan[/quote']

I had the exact same thing going on about two weeks ago. I had the LP Plus top in for a fret file/dress and was jonesing bad, as I saw GC had lowered the price on the Faded LPVM to $799 again, and the shop had 5 in stock.

Boy. I was in peril thinking of whopping out the paycheck on it.

I then stated to play a couple and really was thinking 'hmmm,....bare bones....it's OK , it's the Gibson !!!

but then a few days later I got my LP back with freshley dressed and leveled frets, and um.

I forgot about the LPVM.

I did however...

find an Epiphone Firebird studio on sale for $273 that I put on layaway yesterday.

The case was $99 but they are a ***** to find so I didn't haggle on it.

I should have in out in a couple of weeks. I will post pics then.

I can handle that.

I have a Gibby LPVM, an Epi LP standard with GFS Fat Pats, and a Dot SE with GFS Mean 90 and GFS vintage 59.

I've more or less stopped playing the Epi LP except for rare occasions, but I sway back and forth between the Gibby LPVM and Dot pretty regularly. Sometimes, it's just nice to have a different "feeling" guitar to play. The Busrtbucker pros may be the best humbuckers made, IMO, but the p90 GFS is just a totally different beast. Love it.

I'm a sucker for a wine red Les Paul Studio with gold hardware... I haven't played one' date=' though.

I played a Faded Les Paul Studio (I think it's listed by MF/M123/Guitar Center as "Les Paul Faded," but Gibson lists it as a studio), and quite liked it. I don't think it was quite worth $900, but if it were $500, I'd take it. Guitar Center actually had it reduced to that for one weekend last month, but I was short on cash.[/quote']

Yea, that's when I picked up my wine/gold. I had been watching this one for a couple of months - LH anything is difficult to find (not even listed in the GC site). It had been sitting for a while, so it had already marked down a couple of times. Then the additional 200 off studios this weekend only sale brought it down to under 1k.

On the receipt, the guitar itself was 800 and change, the case was 132.

Completely different playing experience that the OP, though.

With all the background noise, the difference between the Studio and LP+ was hard to tell in the store.

But once home, it became really noticeable.

To me, the Studio sounds sweeter/not as harsh as my Epi LP+.

I thought sustain was longer/better with the Studio.

It also appears to stay in tune much longer.

It's a little lighter, but not much.

Guess it really comes down to a number of little differences, as opposed to a couple of major ones.

And since I had still not spend my tax stimulus refund check, it was really just under 400 out of pocket.

That's a deal. =P~

Archived