Gibson Brands Forums

Difference Between Epi Lp Plain Top and Plus Top

AyushPresley

The plus is "prettier" with the quilted or flamed top on it. Other than that' date=' the difference is about 50-100 bucks. You can get a good price on a plain top at MF, they always seem to have a black B-stock one listed there :0)[/quote']

That was what I was wandering about what is this "Quilted Top Or Flamed Top" ?? I have one already. Just got it a week ago.

It's just a different look on the wood. A quilted or flamed finish' date=' and you can google image both, is quite appealing to some. It does nothing to enhance the sound of your guitar, but you might think it looks cool. Is that a pic of your LP?[/quote'] Yup - the "flame maple" is only a thin veneer over whatever wood may lie beneath:-" I love the look, and happened to score a great deal on my plus-top at the beginning of this year when MF was selling their "value package" of a new Epi LP Std+, cheap ss amp, strap, tuner, cord, gig bag, whathaveyou, for $50 less than the price of a new Epi LP Std+ standalone (I paid $499 vs $549 for just the LP at that time ... price has since increased, by, what, $100, since then ??? Crazy](*,)

Yup - the "flame maple" is only a thin veneer over whatever wood may lie beneath:-" I love the look' date=' and happened to score a great deal on my plus-top at the beginning of this year when MF was selling their "value package" of a new Epi LP Std+, cheap ss amp, strap, tuner, cord, gig bag, whathaveyou, for $50 less than the price of a new Epi LP Std+ standalone (I paid $499 vs $549 for just the LP at that time ... price has since increased, by, what, $100, since then ??? Crazy'](*,)

Thanks man ! I actually bought one for 350 USD ( I am in Australia so it was round about 500 AUD and it's not a second hand or factory B, I bargained so much that my store gave me the LP for 350 USD. He told me mine was plain top. Didn't know the difference then but I compared the pics of a plain top and of a Plus top and I actually think that mine's a plus top cause it's not plain like others. it's got some tiger sort stripes.

Oh ya i got a free gig bag and a Leather belt now that's crazy.

here are the images could you confirm it for me ?

http://s536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/ayushbista/?action=view&current=Pic519.jpg

http://s536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/ayushbista/?action=view&current=Pic520.jpg

my les paul is the plus top...very sexy lookin...but the plain top is amazing too...you see a lot more of the wood..its just preference really...i happen to like both..but had to choose...i lucked out and got mine for $500 CAD right before the price jack :D/

actually it came down to the honeyburst and the trans blue for me actually...i dunno...the trans blue looked amazing...but i'm more partial to the natural look of a guitar...something about a blue guitar....did ya end up getting the plain top or the plus top? and put up a pic of that tobacco burst man..show that axe off

Thanks man ! I actually bought one for 350 USD ( I am in Australia so it was round about 500 AUD and it's not a second hand or factory B' date=' I bargained so much that my store gave me the LP for 350 USD. He told me mine was plain top. Didn't know the difference then but I compared the pics of a plain top and of a Plus top and I actually think that mine's a plus top cause it's not plain like others. it's got some tiger sort stripes.

Oh ya i got a free gig bag and a Leather belt now that's crazy.

here are the images could you confirm it for me ?

[b']http://s536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/ayushbista/?action=view&current=Pic519.jpg

http://s536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/ayushbista/?action=view&current=Pic520.jpg

[/b]

$350 usd !!!????!!!! NICE !!!!:-k

-Very nice guitar. Mine pictured below is the Classic Quilt Top. Now you can see the difference between quilted and flame maple. About the only difference between the Standards and the Classics is that the Classic doesn't have chrome covers on the p'ups or a pickguard. Other than that, same guitar.

L8R,

Matt

Archived