Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone done swirl paint job on a guitar before?

mrjones200x

Anyone got any tips to give me or advice on swirl painting. Goona have a go on a cheapy guitar ive just aquired.

Thanks guys

What exactly do you mean by "swirl"? Starting on the midpoint of the guitar

body and then branching out from that point in a swirling pinwheel effect?

or this...

http://www.simscustomshop.com/

If you are thinking a single colour or multicolor swirl/pin wheel effect, then you need

to have the design drawn out on paper first and then cut out with an exacto knife

on thin air brush artist transfer tape. That will set your reference points for freehand

air brush. You can free hand colours on top of that and then overspray to provide

all sorts of effects. It can be done with spray cans, but these are not controlable

the same way as an air brush, so you will get runs.

Air brush is pricey though...I paid over $300 for my compressor and each air brush ranges

from $300 to $500 depending on how fine the tip is and how controlable you

want the spray to be.

The other way is to use inexpensive hobby/craft paints as used in Tole painting,

but this would have to be applied by hand brush. Definitely a cheap way to do it,

but the results may look similar.

From the deep depths of my (somewhat feeble) memory I recollect doing that sort of thing when I was a kid with toy cars. IIRC, it was a type of paint that floated on water, you mixed several together to get the swirl and then dipped the item in it and yanked it out to produce that type of finish. Not sure if that is how they do it on a guitar body though. There are probably a variety of methods one could use. I'm sure Google will be your friend...

#-o

Sorry didnt explain myself to well.

Swirling i think is know as marbeling.

Similar to the Jem range like this below.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/64435-sims-custom-shop-watermelon-swirled-ibanez-uv-jem-body.html

Thanks

Neat. I think that kind of technique is a trade secret with these guys, so good luck

there trying to reproduce it.

Looking at it a bit, I would think that the coating is a mixture of heavy-ish plastics

that are poured on and different colours are mixed in by brush before the plastic

cures..hence the ripple-swirly effect. The interesting part is that for the back

to be as uniform as the front, it would have to be hanging by a wire around the

neck somewhere and lowered into a vat of either acrylic thick paint or some kind

of coloured plastic and pulled out slowly so that the paint colours run into each

other and blend with each other..#-o:-k

Why don't your try the old Andy Warhol ( modern impressionist painter) where

he litterly through cans of paint on the canvas..and called that "art". :-

Have read loads of info on this procedure and have watch the youtibe vids.

Have had a go with spraying car paint from a can into the lid and pouring it in as they do and it didnt do a bad job.

The hard bits its getting the paint to float. I keep reading oil paints or plastie-kote acrilic paint but think they need thining as they sink then they form a skin very quickly on the top.

Heard they use borax to thiken the water so the paint floats. If so i might stay with the areosol as it spread nicely.

Be really helpfull if someone had done here but not that much luck. ](*,)

This is my fav youtube vid of the process. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8XUEbXAm-hY

Anyone know where to get the paint from for this technique in the uk??

Thanks

Archived