Gibson Brands Forums

Seeking info on '99 John Lee Hooker Sheraton

BHFG

I have a John Lee Hooker Sheraton made in May 1999 at the Samick factory. This guitar was one of 220 numbered models hand signed by John Lee Hooker and distributed exclusively by MARs Music. According to an email Epiphone customer support sent me a few years ago the body parts were made in Korea but final assembly and electronics were done in the US as part of the "USA Series". But I am just going on what that email said. The stiker on the back of the head says "Made in Korea".

I thought about selling it and looking for an Ellitist, but from what I can find out, this model is just as good. I am trying to decide whether to fix this one up a bit, or sell it and look for an Ellitsit or something nicer.

The body is Ebony nitrocellulose with pearl inlays. The hardware is gold stain, but a thin layer that wears pretty easily. The tuners appear to be sealed gear type, but there are no markings on them. The nut looks to me like it is plastic.

What I am trying to find out is what tuners, pickups and pots were used on these models.

I don't know how to identify the pickups, so if anyone has any information on what electronics and tuners were used with these models, I would appreciate it.

Tnx,

Rick

CB knows more about these than I. The whole John Lee Hooker Sheraton is very confusing to me. I have a Sheraton with a a trapeze tailpiece as well as a Sheraton with a stoptail. They were advertised as John Lee Hooker Sheratons by MF but I don't think they are the same and yours. Charlie has one as well. His apparently has a bone nut and a nitro finish, but mine have plastic nuts and a poly finish. Thus, there seems to be at least three John Lee Hooker models (and four if you throw in the model with the stop tail) and they may have been made in Japan as well as Korea. Hard to nail down anything definite on these.

I have a John Lee Hooker Sheraton made in May 1999 at the Samick factory. This guitar was one of 220 numbered models hand signed by John Lee Hooker and distributed exclusively by MARs Music. According to an email Epiphone customer support sent me a few years ago the body parts were made in Korea but final assembly and electronics were done in the US as part of the "USA Series". But I am just going on what that email said. The stiker on the back of the head says "Made in Korea".

I thought about selling it and looking for an Ellitist' date=' but from what I can find out, this model is just as good. I am trying to decide whether to fix this one up a bit, or sell it and look for an Ellitsit or something nicer.

The body is Ebony nitrocellulose with pearl inlays. The hardware is gold stain, but a thin layer that wears pretty easily. The tuners appear to be sealed gear type, but there are no markings on them. The nut looks to me like it is plastic.

What I am trying to find out is what tuners, pickups and pots were used on these models.

I don't know how to identify the pickups, so if anyone has any information on what electronics and tuners were used with these models, I would appreciate it.

Tnx,

Rick[/quote']

Epiphone Customer support heh...The JL Hookers came in the Korean version and the Japanese version...known in Tennessee as the "USA Series (???)...The Korean version was all Asian parts and manufacture..The USA version was made in Japan and shipped here to have the price tag put on...well, maybe more than that like having the electronics installed but not much more than that. The USA Series came in a stop tail piece version (which never happened in real life) and a Frequensator tail piece version and had USA pickups (nobody said "Gibson", they said "USA") and electronics (CTS pots and Switchcraft switches I believe). The USA Series models are VERY nice guitars...the Korean versions are your usual level of Korean manufacture and electronic components. The Korean Hookers (lol) have poly finishes, the American Hookers have lacquer finishes..both use Asian machine heads whether they're labeled Grover or Gotoh or whatever. A world of difference between the USA (Japanese) version and the Korean version.

Nelson

I think, too...the Korean versions have the more current Sheraton headstock with the upper bout corners knocked off,

where as the "Assembled in USA" (Which I have) is the old original headstock design. My understanding is, that ones

that say "Assembled in USA" were manufactured in Japan, where the Elitist versions were, and then sent here "raw"

neck and body, to be painted "Nitro" (either vintage sunburst, or natural) and then have the electronics and hardware

(American) put on. They also have 2 hole truss rod covers, as did the originals. Even the AIUSA models came in two versions Sheraton (l)..with frequensator tailpiece, and the Sheraton II, with the stop bar. But, the only "black" "JLH" Sheratons, were in fact the Korean versions, I believe. The other difference was (I believe...and correct me, if I'm

wrong)...the AIUSA have "Mini" humbuckers, and I think the Korean versions, had full size humbuckers. JLH has been photographed, using both (all) models, at one time or another. So...

Hope that helps, some?

CB

I think' date=' too...the Korean versions have the more current Sheraton headstock with the upper bout corners knocked off,

where as the "Assembled in USA" (Which I have) is the old original headstock design. My understanding is, that ones

that say "Assembled in USA" were manufactured in Japan, where the Elitist versions were, and then sent here "raw"

neck and body, to be painted "Nitro" (either vintage sunburst, or natural) and then have the electronics and hardware

(American) put on. They also have 2 hole truss rod covers, as did the originals. Even the AIUSA models came in two versions Sheraton (l)..with frequensator tailpiece, and the Sheraton II, with the stop bar. But, the only "black" "JLH" Sheratons, were in fact the Korean versions, I believe. The other difference was (I believe...and correct me, if I'm

wrong)...the AIUSA have "Mini" humbuckers, and I think the Korean versions, had full size humbuckers. JLH has been photographed, using both (all) models, at one time or another. So...

Hope that helps, some?

CB[/quote']

Yeah, I think you're right about the mini/full sized humbuckers. I know the USA series had minis...and the two screw truss rod cover. My understanding is that "assembly and final finishing" was done here and everything else in Japan...but what that means exactly I've never been able to determine.

Nelson

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like the version I have then is a nice guitar, but perhaps not as as much quality as an Ellitist. Would that be a fair statement?

I did some loomking around on price. One guy at a vintage guitar store in Georgia has one that's a few numbers higher out of the 220 than mine and he's asking $1980 for it. There's one on EBay that a guy is currently at $550. So it seems to be at each end of the spectrum. Which one is more accurate?

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like the version I have then is a nice guitar' date=' but perhaps not as as much quality as an Ellitist. Would that be a fair statement?

I did some loomking around on price. One guy at a vintage guitar store in Georgia has one that's a few numbers higher out of the 220 than mine and he's asking $1980 for it. There's one on EBay that a guy is currently at $550. So it seems to be at each end of the spectrum. Which one is more accurate?

[/quote']

I don't really recall if the USA series and the Korean models were both numbered or how but...The USA series on its best day without any regard to numbering is going to be worth about $1500-$1750 and the Korean version worth about the $550 that you mentioned so if the vintage guitar shop's is a USA Series version, it's just a typically over-priced vintage guitar shop's guitar. If that's a Korean version then it's ridiculously over-priced. The Korean version on E Bay for $550 seems about accurate...by the way, I don't care for any of the signature model nonsense like graphics and signatures on any guitar but the plain USA JL Hooker Sheratons that were blown out after the endorsement deal expired are probably the only guitars in recent memory that give me anything remotely resembling GAS. The bad thing about living a long time and getting just about every guitar you've ever wanted is that it doesn't leave anything to want for. I must say I really do like those J L Hooker Sheratons but I'd rather have one without the sig model stuff.

Nelson

My "Assembled in USA" Sheraton is (technically) a JLH, as it has that serial number on the blue lable inside, but it didn't have the signature on the pickguard, or the "John Lee Hooker" on the TRC. I got mine when MF was blowing them out, and if I would have had the money, I would have bought 2...both versions...one in each color. But, "C'est La vie!" Just thankful to have the one I did get! And, it really is just as nice, as my Gibson "Lucille!" Different, for sure...but, just as well made, finished, and "Soulful!" ;>)

CB

Archived