Gibson Brands Forums

Warped neck?

Ormic

Hey I am a owner of an Epiphone SG-400 guitar (seems like many people are). I have a problem it seems with some Buzz on the strings at random places.

I have rescently changed to a lighter gauge (from 10s to 9s) and the buzz became more aparent all along the fret board. Even when I set the action up so high Its unplayable, the A string and the G string are still buzzy.

I figure its a warp in the neck, because its buzzy all around. I checked the frets with a credit card and none of them seem high.

I might be able to get pictures of the neck or maybe a video of the buzz if needed. Do you think I should take it to a Guitar store and see if they could set'er up?

Ormic,

G-400s are good guitars. (my opinion) With the kind of buzz you are talking about it sounds like a good set up, including a truss rod adjustment, is in order. Going from 10's to 9's would take pressure of the neck (not alot). But, if you were already getting some buzz it could cause it to increase. If you haven't adjusted the truss rod before it is always a good idea to take it to a qualified luthier the first time and watch him do it. Never more than 1/8 to 1/4 turn on any given day...then let it settle. If it is anything else a good luthier would be able to diagnose the problem. (something that is difficult, at best, online)

Okay sounds good. I will take it down sometime to a repair shop and see what they say. Even thought I bought it at guitar center' date=' I have heard they don't qualify as a Luthier :) [/quote']

GC is usually a guitar tech which most of us can qualify for that position. If you have a mom and pop shop around I would give them a call.

I agree with Willy 1) G400 is a good guitiar and 2) get a nice set-up

Normally I would recommend you try to do it yourself (everyone that plays should learn to do a set-up), but since your buzzing seems to be all over the map, I would have someone with experience handle it. You can always tweak it a couple of days later to fit your liking. Also tell them your style of playing and how you prefer the string height.

Is this a new recently received guitar?

Which is why I would only take it to GC if I had too. I do have a store thats more of a "music store for School bands" kind of thing, and they give lessons so they might do a setup.

I would like the strings pretty low I think, for the fast stuff but not like flat against the neck. I find it hard to bend when its that low.

This is a year old guitar, It has always had fret buzz, but just now when I changed the string sizes to light (so I could bend eaiser and get the classic sound) It got unbearable. I have always played with 10s untill now.

Just Strum hit it on the head. Many here would pass as techs or better. However, if you have a real problem, it may take the proper gauges or tools to see exactly what it is.

If there is no problem and all it needs is a set up.......great.

If it turns out it has a real problem:

If it is brand new.....exchange it.

If not, and it is under lifetime warrenty, contact Gibson Customer Service

If neither of those apply then you have to deside if the guitar is worth the cost of the work to you.

I'd put my money on it just needing a good set up.

I've had buzzes from one of those pick holders that fits between the strings up above the nut, and from pickup cases, and pickguards, and tailpieces, and...

Are you using standard tuning?

Have you checked all of the screws and nuts and bolts of the thing? (Including the ones that hold the tuning keys on) Always pays to check for something loose, first.

I've had buzzes from one of those pick holders that fits between the strings up above the nut' date=' and from pickup cases, and pickguards, and tailpieces, and...

Are you using standard tuning?

Have you checked all of the screws and nuts and bolts of the thing? (Including the ones that hold the tuning keys on) Always pays to check for something loose, first.[/quote']

Boy, that is something I learned in the first month or two of playing guitar and completely forgot - good advice.

And remember, the problem may not be limited to one thing, it could be a combination of things. Including, and I know won't like this, but bad fretting on your part. I can remember early on I had a guitar that buzzed and it ended up it was my sloppy fretting. If it doesn't apply to you, it's still good advise for those just picking up a guitar.

Nothing SEEMS lose. And I think it IS under lifetime warrenty, but a am gonna see what a Luthier says, or atleast my closest option.

I did change the intonation afew months ago (because It was off to begin with) but the buzzing was there long before that. I just thought that is what guitars do :P

And I dont think its bad fretting, I have 2 other guitars and those sound fine, no buzzing at all.

From what you describe, it may actually be a problem with your bridge......sometimes the saddles or retainer spring will cause a buzz that nothing (besides replacement) will make go away.

Post a thread on "bridge buzzing" and see what some of the more experienced ppl here say.

Just a thread called Bridge buzzing with the same topic as here?

Reason why I think its a warped neck is because the top uhhh...5 frets are pefectly straight, then the neck starts to bend when you get to about the 7th.

I was going to ask you if you checked the neck to see if it is straight. It needs to be adjusted.

I keep the necks on all of my guitars as straight as possible, and adjust the action by raising or lowering the bridge.

I just bought a Gibson SG. First thing I checked was the neck. It needed adjustment. It plays perfectly now.

You should learn how to do the adjustment. If the neck has a dip in the middle, a slight clockwise adjustment of the truss rod will straighten it out. A conterclockwise adjustment will cure a neck that arches up.

I find that here in the north, the necks have to be adjusted depending on climate conditions.

You aren't alone.

Okay, I am afraid I would screw it up though. I think my guitar store can do a setup, and It should not cost much.

I heard the neck SHOULd have a bow in it, but not as big as the one I got, at the first 4 frets you can see that its straight, but then at the 7th it bows. So it leaves the top frets really buzzy because they have no bend but the rest of the guitar neck does. So yep

Archived