Gibson Brands Forums

GFS pickups and Les Paul Studio

Berserker

Hi everyone,

I've visited here for the last few years but this is the first post. You all put me on to the GFS pickups and despite the sinking aussie dollar I was thinking of doing a pick up upgrade. My questions are:

1:for those of you with Les Pauls and GFS pickups, which pickups did you choose and why?

and 2: I play purely for the enjoyment, through a 15watt Hughes and Kettner solid state - would there be any benefit in me upgrading my pick ups?

Any advice appreciated,

cheers

Berserker

I've upgraded two different LP Studios with GFS pickups. The first was installed with 'antique boutique' Fat Pats and the 2nd with Mean 90s. Both were a considerable improvement over the stock Epi pickups.

The 'antique boutique' pickups are very warm and work very well for classic rock & blues. The Mean 90s give me a P-90 sound but are not extremely bright or nearly as ballsy as my Phat Cats.

I've upgraded my standard with SD 59's, and I play for personal enjoyment also, but since I am a newbie, the only enjoyment in the house received is mine. But, I am just now getting to the point where I can tell the difference in the sound. My wife says that one sounds just as bad as the other in my hands. I should have done as others on this forum have suggested elsewhere. And that is to learn what your sound is first, and then adjust accordingly. My 2 cents....

My Dot Studio came with the same pickups most Epi LP's come with (HOTCH at the bridge position). What I didn't like about them was that they sounded very muddy. Being that I wanted a clean, "classic" sound, and that I had two P90-loaded Gibsons in the 60s, I went for GFS Mean 90s. I have a nothing-special Hartke hybrid amp but the improvement was quite obvious. I suspect that if you play with a lot of gain, the difference will be less dramatic.

YMMV

I put some GFS Vintage 59s in one of my G-400s. It came with the same pickups as an LP as Ron mentioned. I too felt that the neck pickup was too muddy and that the bridge pickup was just too bright for my taste. I wanted a more classic rock type of sound and I have been very pleased with the outcome. I also split the coils to get a single coil sound as well. Definitely a very good bang for your buck.

I put some GFS mean 90's in my Dot. The original idea was to have something different sounding from the humbuckers, and everyone suggested I go with the mean 90's.

The mean 90's are single coil, and do sound quite good and different, achieving my goal. Eventually, when i get a cam, I want to make a video for people showing the difference between hum's and single coils, and let them hear to make a decision. I love the sound of the single coils, but they are hard to overdrive, unless that amp is cranked.

Archived