Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Travel Tips

SomeIdiotDreamer

I used to hear that you should detune you guitar about a full step, but then someone else said that wasn't

needed anymore, because the cargo holds are pressurized now, so "pets" can be put in there, with no ill

effects, other than abject terror. ;>) So, I suppose it's not as critical anymore to detune your guitar?

But, I do it, anyway...just to be safe.

CB

Latches and locks on any case don't make much difference these days. The security folks at airports will break any lock or fastener that is not immediately openable by a 3 year old. Then they wrap shipping tape around the case' date=' so the glue sticks on everything. Ship it.

[/quote']

](*,)

Since anyone who wants to make a living off their music has to travel, you'd think that the issue of traveling instruments would have some readier solutions. As it is, it sounds like the best, cheapest option is to never leave home...ever.

Last time, for me, I had a case with a zipper closure (figured I'd be safe with no locks) and I used a simple wire tie to stop the 2 zipper handles from flopping around. Rather than untwist it, they used pliers or something to pull the zipper out of the case, then wrapped it with shipping tape to keep it closed.

I don't understand why carrying guitars would be an issue' date=' when there always seems to be the odd one or two golfbags getting the 'special-handling-treatment...[/quote']

Ya know, if you got one of those big honkin' hard-case air travel golf bags, customized it to hold your git securely, and stuck decals saying Wilson Golf all over it, you would be in business. No one would want to steal Wilson golf clubs!!

Archived