Gibson Brands Forums

whats the difference?

deelaz

Soundwise, I think the BBs are overall brighter, with more mid-range response. They yell. Its like somebody shouting. That kind of mid range. To me, those '57s and '57 Classic tend to sound darker, even muddy sometimes. In case you cant tell, I'm a fan of the Burstbuckers. That being said, I did have a 335 with '57s that sounded really good. Not too muddy, and bright enough.

My understanding is that the Burstbuckers have mismatched coil windings. The '57 Classics, on the other hand, are made the way Gibson thought they were making the original PAF's only it seems that back in the late fifties they had no way to precisely control how much wire went onto a bobbin. As a result, there was a happy accident that they probably didn't appreciate until after (re-)introduction of the '57 Classics, namely that the coils were not evenly matched.

OK so that's the construction difference, the sound of course is a matter of opinion and I haven't A/B'd them yet.

Johnny A told me (very gracious, does a meet/greet to sign CD's after the show) he thinks the Burstbuckers are too gritty so he specified '57 Classics in his signature Gibson. Andy Aledort (sideman for Dickey Betts) prefers the Burstbuckers for what he was striving for - the vintage PAF tone.

Incidentally, depending on the year of production, if I recall correctly some Burstbuckers are potted.

The BB Pro (used to be called BB V) has an alnico V magnet and would have a higher output than the BB 1 or 2 and is apparently what Gibson believes the current market demands for the LP Standards. Purists who pay for a Custom Shop Historic get BB 1, 2. Production ES guitars still have '57s.

Archived