Gibson Brands Forums

For those with GFS mean 90's

mealz1281734035

Im looking into buying the set to put in my epi les paul....

do these pickups distort easily? do they clean up well?

I mostly play rock kind of music...I like my distortion to be ballsy, rich and smooth...but not too heavy (when doing rhythm) yet to have a bit of an 'edge' to it as well (when doing lead)...I like my cleans to be kinda bluesy, nothing too sharp

Do you think these pickups would suit my kind or style?

Just want to know your thoughts/reviews on these pickups

Sorry for all the questions....just want to know im buying the right pickups =D>

thanks heaps,

mealz

I installed Mean 90s for pretty much the opposite reasons - I wanted more

clarity and less crunch.

You probably don't want Mean 90s, if I understand what it is that you're looking

for. P90s don't do the heavy overdrive thing like humbuckers. They won't push

a pre-amp like a bucker. Definitely not "smooth and creamy". I think you'll be

happier with GFS humbuckers - maybe vintage 59s which will clean up nicely.

Other members will be a better source of recommendations for the style you're

describing. YMMV

I have a GFS Dream 90 in my 3 Humbucker SG, in the middle position (bridge). The reason I got it is because I felt the 3 humbuckers were too muddy, not clear enough. I figured a singlecoil would help things a bit.

I have to say I was negatively impressed. It seemed muddier to my ears than the stock Epi bridge pickup, definitely no real bite to the crunch and too creamy/muddy.

That said, an electronics upgrade might change things and remember, sound is subjective.

What I don't like, you might love. Try and get some user samples of it, see if you like it.

I agree with Mealz, I think you'd be better suited with a nice humbucker, something like the mentioned '59 PAF replica.

Words like clarity,balls,articulate etc...etc...are all very subjective and it's hard to know exactly what smooth distortion is for you......my definition may be different. That being said I have tried quite a few models in the GFS line and I think based on your description you would be happy with the vintage 59's. I have the Mean 90's in a hollow body Epi Joe Pass and I think they shine in that guitar but it's a lower gain situation...don't get me wrong they have a nice little bark to them much like a good p-90 does. The dream 180's I tried are my least favorite of all GFS pickups ...I'd stay away from those. The other pickup I tried recently(again in a hollow body) is a set of retrotron Hot Liverpools and I like them a lot! If you are looking for a bit more clarity and bite than the PAF style pickups you might want to listen to the samples of that series pickup. I particularly like the Hot Liverpool neck tone distorted......really nice! That's my $.02 FWIW.

I mostly play rock kind of music...I like my distortion to be ballsy' date=' rich and smooth...but not too heavy (when doing rhythm) yet to have a bit of an 'edge' to it as well (when doing lead)...I like my cleans to be kinda bluesy, nothing too sharp

[/quote']

Sounds like a regular PAF-type(output) humbucker to me Mealz.

I think people are generally very happy with mean 90s ...

I went on the recommendation of some on this forum that have tried them and

seem to like them. I ordered, and now have a set that I'm using in my custom made semi-hollow

LP style. I haven't heard them yet, but expect them to have some "ballsy sounds".

My favourites are the GFS open coil Vintage 59s.

Layboomo' date=' what was it about the Dream 180 you did not like? Just got one off their clearance section and was gonna put in my stepsons les paul today...thanks[/quote']

I had a pair of them in a dual humbucker tele style guitar with coil taps and they were just very thin sounding all the way around compared to some of their other pickups like the vintage 59's for example. If you are replacing stock Epi pickups just about anything is an improvement there IMHO.......to be honest I think there is a reason GFS is clearing them out.#-o Hey try it.....tone is subjective and what's Great to some is Blah to others!

I think this one may have been a return as it was sold out right after I bought it, $20 instead of the $34 they are at.. I am replacing the stock pup and he likes how it looks and probably couldn't tell the difference on sound right now.. Thanks though, I probably won't be putting it in anything else then..

I had a pair of them in a dual humbucker tele style guitar with coil taps and they were just very thin sounding all the way around compared to some of their other pickups like the vintage 59's for example. ....to be honest I think there is a reason GFS is clearing them out.:-k Hey try it.....tone is subjective and what's Great to some is Blah to others!

What you're saying is true, Layboomo, but why put a set of GFS "Filtertrons" on other than a semi-hollow?

You are definitely not going to get them to smoke like a set of uncovered 4 wire Vintage 59s..for the money,

those are really great. The Gretsch sound is that tinny thin sound that makes the

Gretsch so distinctive.

The thing I like about GFS pickups is that you can order 3, 4 or more , for the price of

one boutique p_up and experiment..some may be to your liking and others may not...and if they're not, it's

not a big investment sitting around in your guitar parts box.

" The Gretsch sound is that tinny thin sound that makes the

Gretsch so distinctive. "

While that may be true of some Gretsh guitars you obviously haven't heard my 3161's!!! They have more balls than most 335's and plenty if chime when I want it,but they ain't thin by anybody's standards. Give a listen to the neck position Hot Liverpool's clip on the GFS website.......ain't nothin tinny about that pickup.:-k I'd put that in a solid body without thinking twice actually. Yeah the GFS are good for experimenting without dropping too much $$.

Archived