Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone les paul double cutaway TV Yellow (question)

Treemind

I have an 95 Epiphone Les Paul Double cutaway (TV Yellow)...

I replaced the tuners, and the pickups with a Seymour Duncan pickup in the bridge position, and a Bartolini in the neck position so sounds and plays great. It has a few minor blemishes, but nothing most 13 year old guitars don't have. It has a through body, and was made in the Samick factory in Korea. My question is this, what do you think this guitar would be worth today?

It seems very rare, in fact i have never seen another Epiphone like it. I traded a few condensor mics for it while ago, and while i love the sound... I am more married to my Gibson SG. So it has been my back up guitar.

Anyhow, i am in need of some cash and i am thinking of putting it up for sale.

What do you think a fair price on a guitar like this would be?

Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Guest alanhindle

However, it's only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay for it and there is a credit crunch! I'm also not sure you can rely on a Korean made guitar being a collector's piece. I could call my 1986 Yamaha a vintage instrument but I really don't think it's worth more than about £100 ($200).

For a 13 year old solid body Epi with a set neck and in good condition for its age (no major dings and certainly no evidence of warps, cracks or breaks), I'd pay no more than about £80-£120 ($160-$240ish) for it. I might be persuaded to go at the top end of this range because of the pickups but only if it played very nicely and was in top condition. As a buyer, I would be worried about fret wear in a guitar of that age so that would put me off quite a bit. As with a car, the colour may also affect its sellability. TV yellow is one of those colours that you either love or loathe. Also keep in mind that a potential buyer could get a brand new faded dot or a G400 for not a great deal more. Of course on ebay people seem to lose all their senses and you may well do significantly better. A lot may depend on how quickly you want to sell and how low you are prepared to go. Good luck.

thanks for the response...

yeah i was thinking of listing at $300, and taking lower if no one offers up that high.

but you are right about finding someone who is really looking for exactly that.

Plus i cant give it away... i like it way more then that.

Dang! $150? Yeah i would buy another one for that.

Honestly, I wouldn't let mine go for any less then $250.

but then again, i did replace the pickups and the tuners.

It's not Cherry... but its in realy decent shape, good pots, and the frets are in good shape.

I think it has always been a back up, so its not too worn down.

In reading this I will probably keep mine around.

Not worth letting go.

Paid $400 or so for mine earlier this year. It's a '98 model and was made in the Samick factory (I haven't heard of any made anywhere else, come to think of it)

good.jpg

I think I've seen a few people here that have similar ones. I do love the cherry finish on mine, but if I had a choice I'd trade for a TV yellow one in a heartbeat. No matter the color of it though, it's a fantastic guitar. I have played those faded gibson ones they had a year or two ago and to be honest, there wasn't much of a difference in the sound or anything like that. My only complaints are the stock tuners (garbage) and the pup selector switch being where it is. I'm used to my LP standard though, so the switch doesn't bug me as much. I actually turn them sideways to avoid flipping them #-o

I have a Black '96(paid around $200, not as clean looking as FrankS'). Mine and FrankS' are just the few I have come across with that pickguard and the pickup selector switch on the upper horn. Most seem to have the selector by the volume and tone pots. Post up a pic of yours. And as one of the others mentioned, there are two on ebay for around $400 buy it now.

l_c40379d74e704296a116216c21d378c1.jpg

Dang! $150? Yeah i would buy another one for that.

Honestly' date=' I wouldn't let mine go for any less then $250.

but then again, i did replace the pickups and the tuners.

It's not Cherry... but its in realy decent shape, good pots, and the frets are in good shape.

I think it has always been a back up, so its not too worn down.

In reading this I will probably keep mine around.

Not worth letting go.

[/quote']

Yep; $150 bucks. I don't think the guy really knew what he had and i was a fool to not buy it but money is really tight right now as I've been laid off from my job. I would keep the guitar if I were you as I think it will increase in value.

Archived