Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson or Epiphone LP. worth the difference in PRICE?

Hippchekk

Aside from inane questions such as this one' date=' there's something else that I see. I'm often

dismayed when a player uses a forum apparently as the first and only line of inquiry,

before bothering to even look at a manufacturer's website to familiarize himself with the

product lines, features, etc... Of course there are other places to gather info, like GC, et

al. Some people here have worked hard to learn what they know about guitars, mods,

etc.. And while they are often generous with that knowledge, I can understand why they

don't want to "do all the work" for somebody too lazy to do some of it himself. I know

some members may disagree with me - and that's OK.

Specifically about the OP: for one thing, he didn't even bother to look at the recent HUGE posts on the

Gibson vs. Epiphone topics. I also doubt he did much, if any research on Epi and Gibson features,

manufacture, materials, etc..[/quote']

I respect what you are saying, and agree entirely.

However, it would be nice if Epiphone's website didn't suck so much. Right now it looks like a Slash fan-site.

I respect what you are saying' date=' and agree entirely.

However, it would be nice if Epiphone's website didn't suck so much. Right now it looks like a Slash fan-site.[/quote']

AMEN, to that! I can't in recent memory, remember when the Epi web-site was so dominated by ONE

"artist?!"

CB

Aside from inane questions such as this one' date=' there's something else that I see. I'm often

dismayed when a player uses a forum apparently as the first and only line of inquiry,

before bothering to even look at a manufacturer's website to familiarize himself with the

product lines, features, etc... Of course there are other places to gather info, like GC, et

al. Some people here have worked hard to learn what they know about guitars, mods,

etc.. And while they are often generous with that knowledge, I can understand why they

don't want to "do all the work" for somebody too lazy to do some of it himself. I know

some members may disagree with me - and that's OK.

Specifically about the OP: for one thing, he didn't even bother to look at the recent HUGE posts on the

Gibson vs. Epiphone topics. I also doubt he did much, if any research on Epi and Gibson features,

manufacture, materials, etc..[/quote']

I hear you, Ron, but sometimes I get "into" something and in the excitement, I dive into a forum of knowledgeable people and start asking simple questions such as this. One of the problems of a forum such as this is that we don't have a bulletin board of "conventional wisdom", though it would sure be nice. I have a web site dedicated to photography, but am thinking of trying to collect and assemble the wisdom of this group into an informational website that could be used by newbies with newbie questions.

I respect what you are saying' date=' and agree entirely.

However, it would be nice if Epiphone's website didn't suck so much. Right now it looks like a Slash fan-site.[/quote']

What??? I signed up over there two months ago and was wondering why I haven't received my membership card and hat.

Guest alanhindle
I have been unable to justify paying 2000 for a Gibson LP when the Epiphone LP is around 1/3 the cost. I havent had the luxury of holding a Gibson LP to really tell. Can anyone give me a clue as to why the Epiphone LP are so much less when they seem to have more or less duplicated the LP. I know there made out of country too.

Hello Hippchekk

My personal views are:

Yes a Gibson is good in terms of quality but poor in terms of value for money, especially if you want a heavier, shinier Gibson model made out of fewer pieces of wood and with fancy binding & mother of pearl. I believe that, apart from the name, there are 2 key areas where Gibson has a distinct upper edge. These are the quality and playability of the neck and the quality of the pickups. I think other factors such as wood quality/source, nitro vs poly finish and the use of veneers vs maple caps make little, if any, appreciable difference. In my experience, unplugged my Epi LP actually sounds better than the handful of Gibson LPs I've tried- more resonant and fat with better sustain. This factor is probably a lottery with either make. Plugged in, the Epi is very much inferior with its stock pickups. At the end of the day the pickups are the major factor governing the sound you will get and these are readily changable. I do make more playing errors with my Epi LP compared to my efforts on Gibson LP necks and this is the bit you can't change. However, this is helping me to improve as a player. NB. If the cheaper switches and knobs break on an Epi they can just be replaced so this too is a minor issue.

My advice to you is to get down to the shop(s) and try several of each and make the decision that is right for you and your budget. Also, you can go on youtube and type 'Gibson vs Epiphone' to get some head-to-head comparisons.

Alan

Archived