Gibson Brands Forums

Blues Custom 30 Tone

JohnWhirl

Hey Everyone.

I'm new to the forums, but wanted to propose a question.

I'm very interested in the Blues Custom amplifier, and was curious about the tone. After break-in, etc... to what other style of amps would you compare the tone? Does it sound like a Vox, Marshall, Fender, etc...?

Thanks so much!

Hey Everyone.

I'm new to the forums' date=' but wanted to propose a question.

I'm very interested in the Blues Custom amplifier, and was curious about the tone. After break-in, etc... to what other style of amps would you compare the tone? Does it sound like a Vox, Marshall, Fender, etc...?

Thanks so much![/quote']

I haven't owned many amps so it would be hard to compare but I would say that it is not like Marshall's lower-end offerings, which are often marketed as having "crushing distortion." Between my response and GuitarSlinger's response, I guess that just leaves Vox. :-)

Comparisons aside, I find this amp to have a fairly smooth overdrive. My Strat (single coils) doesn't drive it into OD as well as my Les Paul (humbuckers) but I use a compressor and/or overdrive pedal before it to boost the signal and it sounds excellent.

As many people seem to mention, this amp is bright. It's not harsh but it is bright. I usually keep the treble down a bit, the middle at 50% and the bass up a bit. The OD channel also has an extra mid control. Turn up the drive, cut the mids back a little and this amp screams vintage tone!

A recently replaced the power tubes in my BC30 with Sovket 6L6WXT+'s and it sounds excellent. It does hum a little at first though. From what I've read, that might just be the rectifier tube.

I really like this amp and I seem to like more as time goes on. I would say that if the name sounds like something you would be interested in, the amp won't disappoint.

Archived