Gibson Brands Forums

How solid are the Epi Les Paul Standards

mozahlee

How Solid are these guitars, Do they hold up? My EPI LP

seems to, goes out of tune a lot, but I do play with a heavy hand.

I want something that'll take a beating...Everything is stock, but i'd like to

change the pups and knobs/pots maybe. **HOWEVER...I don't want to

invest in this git, if any of you have had issues with yours. I'd

rather upgrade NOW to a more expensive LP, rather than spend the

money to mod it out...

my LP

scaled.php?server=91&filename=gee001cq7.jpg&xsize=578&ysize=480

It shouldn't go out of tune.. if you wind the strings right.. stretch them enough..

but how heavy is heavy? there's a limit to what a string will take.. until you beat it toneless.

is it hanging up on the saddles.. so that when you play hard the string stretches forward from a lack of even tension between the tail

and the saddle?

is it hanging up in the nut.. put a little pencil lead in each slot..

test it a bit.. for instance.. tune a string..

then push down on the string behind the nut..

then see if it's in tune..

bend that string..

then see if it's in tune..

the idea is to get it to stay in tune no matter where you bend the string behind the nut or at the frets..

the string should move freely over the nut..

usually it's hard to get that perfect however.. so if you have a heavy hand.. then at least you know what you're doing to it.. and

can.. lighten up a bit. they aren't hammers!

same thing with bridge saddles.. if the angle is great from the tail.. having a low tailpiece.. then the wound strings can, since they have a wrap on them with ridges, hang up at the saddle..

raise your tailpiece so the angle is not so severe if it is a great angle.

test the same way as above..

that's where I'd start.

TWANG

I think they are darn good giggable guitars with a couple of upgrades. Also, don't worry about upgrading it. Heck, you put the new stuff in it & you can take it out & put it in another one any time you want.

Try some of those new VEH pickups from GFS. I'm pretty impressed with them. $38 apiece.

I just bought a Epi LP Special from a kid today for $80. He bought a Gibson. The neck had a bow, and I think he lowered the tune a matic bridge to compensate for the action loss. Must have been a nightmare to play. I brought it home and adjusted the trussrod. Neck straightened right out. Raised the bridge back, and this thing really screams. Has zebra humbuckers. I played a Les paul I bought new in 1985, and sold last year. Ended up missing it. This little pup seems solid and easy to play. Can't wait to get 'er on stage with the band! Tuners do seem a little cheesy. Some Grovers will fix that right up. I like Epiphone guitars. Robert

Archived