Gibson Brands Forums

polish for DOT

Magnum821

Just got a new Ebony DOT. Man, do I love it too. I have used Turtle Wax Express Shine spray (carnauba wax), on my acoustics - spray on clean cloth, then wipe the finish. Do any of you se a problem doing the same thing with this axe?

Additionally, I want to thank you all for your reviews, opinions, and recommendations. I did extensive study and research prior to purchasing this guitar, and your input and guidance was instrumental (no pun intended), in my decision. I love this forum.

Thanks so much,

Mag

Congrats on the new Dot. I know people that use car wax on guitars and I have used Mequiar's cleaner wax on my Dot, however it is not recommended especially for repeated use. I use Dunlop 65 polish and cleaner (spray on). Mequiar's also sells a guitar care kit that I was thinking about picking up.

The Dunlop 65 kit that comes with a bottle of lemon oil for the fingerboard was the last care kit I've had to buy. I think over 3 years now, and used on a couple dozen guitars. Can hardly tell the lemon oil was used, still probably 1/3 bottle of cleaner/polish left. On that black poly paint, you can use automobile glaze as well, for one of those mile deep shines -- if you can get it clean enough to start with, and don't mind every fingerprint showing up like a zit on the end of your nose. That's why I started using the Dunlop in the 1st place, shiny and clean without showing each tiny blemish in a spolight.

Archived