Gibson Brands Forums

Factory delay on Goth LP Studio?

meursalt

Hello,

I'm a new forum user, and I've been reading the forum trying to get insight into something. I just ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Goth Studio and a gig bag. The next day, the online retailer informed me that the item was on backorder. Then, later that night, they emailed me to say the guitar wouldn't even arrive at their warehouse until March. That's three months! The retailer's website has been updated to say they will have the item in mid-January (which doesn't seem likely since they told me March).

Anyway, is this type of factory delay common with Epiphones? The other retailers I looked at (Sweetwater, Sam Ash) also said it was backordered until mid January. Does anyone know of a retailer that might be able to ship me a Goth Studio sooner?

I'm just starting playing again after years of not playing. I used to play Gibsons exclusively, and my prize possession was an emerald green Gibson Studio, but it's no longer with me. The Epi Goth is within my price range and I like its clean look. I'd rather have no inlays (or just the XII) than dot inlays. So I really want this guitar, but it will be painful to wait three months with nothing by a chinese acoustic-electric with poor intonation to play in the meantime (although it's great hand exercise).

I considered the Goth SG, but I've heard some negative things about SG's from LP players. The way people talk about them, they sound sort of like the Melody Maker I had years ago, which, while it was fun to play, just wasn't as satisfying as a Les Paul. So I'm not sure the SG is for me.

I'd appreciate any insight into my dilemma.

Thanks,

-meursalt

Have you tried your local store? Some stores have hard to find models, it's all about luck I guess. What about the classifieds? Ebay? Craig's list?

Part of the fun is trying to hunt down the perfect guitar, and if you already know what you want you're well ahead of the pack then!

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I checked all the online retailers you mentioned. So far it looks like everyone is out of the Goth LP and SG. I'll check the local places on my day off tomorrow.

btw, just out of curiosity, I've never played an Explorer. How does it compare to a Les Paul? Does the neck feel the same? I've heard a couple of people over the years complain that Explorers have an inherently muddy tone due to the body shape, but this sounds suspiciously like those people's personal prejudices, rather than an actual property of the guitar. Many of you seem to be devoted Les Paul players, so what do you guys think of Explorers in general?

Thanks,

-meursalt

Archived