Gibson Brands Forums

Elitist

rudi

"Elite", yes, "Elitist", no. One inappropriate name, for sure. However, I've had this Epi Elitist LP for coming up on a month now, and it truly is one fabulous instrument. This has been the most bountiful and top-shelf year for guitars in all of my 48 so far. No kids (ergo, no tuition bills), no mortgage, just a newly retired wife who is drawing a fat pension...not to mention that this is the same woman who told me a few years back: "I think it's about time for a new guitar around here". Wow. Can you imagine a woman talking to her husband that way? "Time for a new guitar...."

OBOYOBOYOBOY! That time was the '52 Telecaster reissue. I've made a new rule though: from now on, whenever I feel that I MUST have a new guitar - and that is a feeling everyone reading these words can relate to...or we wouldn't be here. Here is where my collection stands as we head into 2009:

Acoustics:

> Homebuilt HD-28 copy w/gold Waverly machines (USA)

> Lone Star El Paso Nylon/classical w/Venetian cutaway - solid spruce & rosewood (Mexico)

> Alvarez beater/parts box (Japan)

> 2008 Gibson Modern Classic Hummingbird (USA) (Gesert island

Electrics:

> PRS SE special dual humbucker solid body (Korea)

> PRS SE-EG (Strat-style body/5-way switching / hard tail (Korea)

> Fender 1952 Tele Reissue

> The mind-blowing new Elitist Les Paul in (I think) "Honeyburst"

Plus a Schecter C-4 4-string bass w/active EMGs, A Roland Cube practice amp, and a Mesa/Boogie LoneStar Special (LOVE the EL-84 soundI, nie Langevin/Manley Mic Preamp, two Rode condensers (one tube), and a matched pair of AT-4041 small-diaphragm condensers. All of this runs through my FW-1884 Firewire Mixer and DAW front end. A bunch of shakers, maracas, harps of different keys and a V-drum kit. God, I love my home studio, Studio, yes, but also sanctuary and think tank (out of order today)

Anyway, I mainly wanted to tell you about the Elitist and share some images, but I can't figure out how to post pictures. Do I need them stored in a fixed place and they link to this? Any threads you could point me to?

As far as the Epi - I would give it a 10 except for some setup adjustments that should have been done. Fit and finish; workmanship = solid 10. Have to knock a point off for some relatively severe intonation adjustments. Luckily, the saddles had enough backward/forward adjustment room to get it PERFECT, altho I confess to using a strobe tuner.

Then, while the (bone) nut was cut perfectly for depth, a couple of slots were bindy and sticky (B and G mostly).

This, too, was an easy job - but only because I had the right tools (fret files). In fact, i thinking it over, I believe we'll go down to 8 overall. I don't mind doing a setup; I kind of enjoy it...but not everyone is so inclined. Not everyone has the skills or tools (and once you get into lutherie, the tool list is endless. But wait! The point of a review is how the product interacted with ME, right? Not with Joe Everyman; not with Joan Everywoman. Since I personally would have done a setup anyway, we'll go back up to 9. Nine once! Nine twice! Sold! To the man with the Feedback Feverrrrrrr!

Please let me know how to post pics.

Thanks

Rudi

I've made a new rule though: from now on' date=' whenever I feel that I MUST have a new guitar - and that is a feeling everyone reading these words can relate to...or we wouldn't be here.[/quote']

You got me all excited to hear your new rule, and then.....??

Welcome though!

You got me all excited to hear your new rule' date=' and then.....??

Welcome though![/quote']

Sorry, man - it was one of those 3AM posts. The rule is simple: Want a new one? Then get rid of one. However, exeptions would be made for a 12-string, a dobro, etc. - one that I don't have. It boils down to no duplicates. I couldn't have a PRS solid-body hardtail double-humbucker AND a LP, since they're essentially the same. Relax, guys - I said "essentially". However, adding a Music Man EVH model would be acceptable, since it sports a Floyd, which neither the PRS or LP do. Disputes will go to a specially assigned mediator.

Archived