Gibson Brands Forums

Help on finding parts?

GibsonExplorer14

Just looking for all the information that I can...

I'm refinishing a 2004 Epiphone SG Junior; the one that comes in the box with an amp and gig bag. I was curious if the parts I'm looking at purchasing for it would be compatible. Here's a list:

Les Paul Junior/Special Gold Wraparound Bridge:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/lespajuinwrc1.html

Grover/Gibson Deluxe Gold Machine Heads:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Vintage-Gold-Machine-Heads-with-Pearloid-Buttons-306094-i1128025.gc

Gibson Les Paul Bridge Pickup Mounting Bracket (Creme):

http://store.gibson.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx/en-us/hardware/mounting-brackets/prpr-025

GFS Fender Style Gold Humbucker:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/vispgohuclfe.html

OR

Gibson/Epiphone Standard Humbucker:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson--57-Classic-Humbucker-Pickup-306000-i1128003.gc

If anybody knows what on the list is compatible, please let me know!

Are you planning to make the pickup hole a bit bigger ?? cause the Junior in your's uses a smaller sized pickup than the ones you're planning to buy.. it you make it bigger then the pickups will fit and so will the mounting brackets..if you manage to fit the fender style then i would say don't put the mounting brackets..it'll looks good without one..

hey custom and welcome to the forum. AP is correct. i resently upgraded a 98 coronet and put a tele chrome pkup in neck, which looked ok but did not fit just write. i then brought a strat lipstick which fits better and works great with the brown sound veh humbkr. i got a rollor bridge and it did not adjust left to right to line the strings up with the pole heads screws. i then order a shaller roller bridge which does but had to get it to work with the stubs from first roller do to stud size differences.

C Brown, the schaller will work with the p-93, stubs are same size. i plan to get gold in a few months.

What i guess i am saying is check the site search for mods on sg version u have unless u want to make newbie mistakes i made. the good thing is i have spare parts, did not have much to go on for specs on the coronet which added to the extra expense. the sg versoin u have is in mass production and u should hopefully find items that will fit.

i love guitarfetish. their stuff is great al the pkups on coronet are from them. shoot them an email on your project for their recommendations. I also, used www.stemac.com too. they provided some good info.

Good luck on you mods. post pics when ur done.

Thanks, both of you for the information. In reply, the pickup in the guitar isn't a P-90 like on others like it, its an Epi humbucker. Would I need to change the pickup cavity to fit a new Gibson or Fender Humbucker in it?

I'm not going to be adding a second pickup, because the guitar is mainly just being alterec aesthetically.

You would not need to change the cavity for a gibson style humbucker' date=' but I think the others are saying a Fender "F-spaced humbucker may require additional routing[/quote']

Thats great, I put a hold on a used Gibson '57 Classic at my local music store. The pickup fitting was my main worry. Do you think I could replace the pickup mounting bracket as well? The one on my Junior is about one centimeter high, and I want to replace it with a creme Les Paul bridge bracket. Any idea if the screw holes are the same?

The pickup you linked to isn't Fender-sized, it's based on the Fender-style pickup. Because of Gibson's patent, Fender had to design their own humbucker, and that's what resulted. The one you linked to is based on Fender's, but it's a standard Gibson-sized humbucker.

I'm pretty sure those machine heads are not going to drop right in.

I think you're going to have to enlarge the holes the tuners fit through because they are vintage tuners.

I know I had to on mine. But mine is a 97', so I am not positive.

Also, the screw holes for the tuners are not going to be lined up either, making it necessary to drill new ones.

The pickup you linked to isn't Fender-sized' date=' it's based on the Fender-style pickup. Because of Gibson's patent, Fender had to design their own humbucker, and that's what resulted. The one you linked to is based on Fender's, but it's a standard Gibson-sized humbucker.[/quote']

And that would fit in a Gibson or Epiphone mounting ring right?

I'm pretty sure those machine heads are not going to drop right in.

I think you're going to have to enlarge the holes the tuners fit through because they are vintage tuners.

I know I had to on mine. But mine is a 97'' date=' so I am not positive.

Also, the screw holes for the tuners are not going to be lined up either, making it necessary to drill new ones.[/quote']

I figured that, but thanks for confirming. The tuners on the guitar are just cheap Jinho tuners, with the diagonal screw holes. New drilling would have to be done for any new tuners, I guess. Here's a picture just to show everyone what I'm working with:

http://www.epiphone.com/images/FULLsgjr.jpg

Do you think I could replace the pickup mounting bracket as well? The one on my Junior is about one centimeter high' date=' and I want to replace it with a creme Les Paul bridge bracket. Any idea if the screw holes are the same?[/quote']

they will not fit. epi and gidson specs are diffent on hardware. i want creme for my dot and the gibby's are not sized for epi's. u will need to get proline or try stemac or allparts.com. measure the rings and check out stemac. they provide exact specs on parts they sell.

they will not fit. epi and gidson specs are diffent on hardware. i want creme for my dot and the gibby's are not sized for epi's. u will need to get proline or try stemac or allparts.com. measure the rings and check out stemac. they provide exact specs on parts they sell.

Thats buying Gibson solidbody mounting rings for an archtop guitar though' date=' so you'd think it would fit on another [Epiphone'] solidbody, right?

If I sound like a total noob to all of you' date=' its because I am. This is my first guitar project... using my first guitar. I really have no idea what I'm doing so thats why I'm asking so many questions; so I don't royally screw up something that looks fantastic on paper![/quote']

nops you don't sound like a noob..c'mon if you don't know something then Ask..I do the same..don't hesitate buddy...if you fear from asking what you don't know, you'll never know the answers.. the forums is all about discussing, questions and answers....honestly this is the best forum I have ever seen.. guys here are really helpful..

Archived