Gibson Brands Forums

thinking of changing the saddles

rocko

Rocko,

Good question. I haven't done it but there have been discussions about the graph tech saddles. So, just to add to

your question.....If the saddles are changed to the graph tech, would the ground between the bridge and the strings be lost? How big of a deal is it? Would there be a string buzz? I know there is a ground line inside the guitar that goes to the insert on the bridge stud.

You know, I've put them in, and sold them, and read about them a zillion times..

and I've never heard a question or remark about losing the ground.

I guess I just thought they'd be conductive.

But now that I think about it.. I use teflon coated wire and it sure doesn't conduct.

Yet.. nobody has ever brought this up, so while I think it's a good question, I'd bet the answer is ....

the ground wire goes to the tailpiece.*S*

I just modified a set of graph techs for a forum member. he had the old style sheri bridge and none of the graph techs for epi would fit,

so I bought a tap and tapped out the graph techs for a gotoh bridge and they went right in.

looks way cool, too.. black saddles in chrome bridge.

I'm going to put a set on my sheraton.. just for the look. *L*

The guy I did the bridge for is sending me back the GT epi saddles.. since they didn't fit.

So I'll have a set in stock pretty quick and discounted since they are out of package.

TWANG

So' date=' just to add to your question.....If the saddles are changed to the graph tech, would the ground between the bridge and the strings be lost?[/quote']

Graphite conducts electrical current. No loss of ground should occur.

Are string breakages the cause of your wanting to go graphite? There is really no other benefit, right? Three alternative suggestions:

-- up a guage on strings.

-- proper setup on T.O.M. guitars.

-- string over-the top of the bridge to reduce string angle.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

usually used with whammys.. since there's no tone loss.. still be good with the tail set low.. metals going to cause earlier string wear in that case

set up well or not.

I know they call them graph tech. which means graphite is used, but I assumed there might be some current loss.. due to some chemical factor.

I never heard of it though!

I still don't dig that stringing over the tail top thing... I keep meaning to put my old tail on sometime just to hear any difference.

then I put on new strings and forget and don't want to... *L*

TWANG

A grounding question: What about coated strings?

The V in the saddle will slice right through any thin string coating (.0005) and ground the string anyway.

You could use a 900 grit sandpaper to bare the strings in the area right under the saddles before tuning up if' date=' on the 1 in long-odds chance, you experienced additional hum with a coated string set.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Archived