Gibson Brands Forums

Buying an Epiphone

lorinbosoc

I'm thinking of buying and epiphone. The music I wanna play with is is mainly metal. I have two guitars on my mind, and those are the Les Paul Custom and the Les Paul Zakk Wylde. Could you please give me some pieces of advice regarding these guitars and what would be the best =D>?

PS. I want the guitar to sound moody when I do soloes with the neck pickup and the bridge metalish.

The Custom will have the Epi pickups and the ZW will have the passive EMG HZ/H4 pickups. If you plan on keeping the stock pickups, you should research the two. My personal opinion is to get the ZW LP and switch the pickups out for Active EMG pickups. As I've said many times before, they offer super heavy, super tight distortion that sounds great for metal riffing and soloing. I recommend the EMG 81/85, since that's the most popular combination (and also the combination that Zakk himself uses).

The ZW has better pickups, I am not agree with "SkEpTiKaL" but I respect his opinion ... in my opinion, it makes no sense to buy a ZW and then change the pickups, if you want active pickup buy an Prophecy Les Paul EX, Remember that if you want change the pasive pickup for active pickups, you must drill the wood in order to make a place for the battery.

Pickups? I'd put more money in a GREAT AMP! Much more critical to sound' date=' especially "Metal" than

active or passive pickups...IMHO. Plus I hate batteries in a guitar! They will always fail, at the least

convenient time! LOL!

CB[/quote']

Bats for EMGs last for years, and they fade gradually, also the pickups still work without a bat they are just not as powerful.

Guest alanhindle

How about a 24 fretted prophecy GX in either the Les Paul or the SG with the Gibson Dirty fingers pickups and coil taps. Seems like a very versatile guitar and will be more than suitable for both hard rock and heavy metal that you may be playing (and without the need for batteries).

Somebody on the forum has one of each and posted pics the other night. Maybe our friend could put them up again for us.

Alan

Pickups? I'd put more money in a GREAT AMP! Much more critical to sound' date=' especially "Metal" than

active or passive pickups...IMHO. Plus I hate batteries in a guitar! They will always fail, at the least

convenient time! LOL!

CB[/quote']

Good point, Charlie. I've seen people ask about spending $200+ on pickups and meaningless guitar upgrades while playing through some crap modeling amp or some Chinese toaster over tube amp...just like in the audio world... half of your budget should be at the point of output...amp/speakers... best amp at the $300 point? 70's Fender Champ...point to point wiring and tube rectifier...no amateur night mods necessary...stick a Boss Heavy Metal pedal in front of it and you're good to go...6 watts of unmitigated sonic rudeness..and actually for about $200 you can find a Fender Champ 12 which with a few really easy mods can be pretty good little amp and loud enough to keep up with a reasonably loud drummer...

Nelson

Bats for EMGs last for years' date=' and they fade gradually, also the pickups still work without a bat they are just not as powerful.[/quote']

I understand...it's just the idea of a battery in a guitar. I hate to have to buy batteries for things

that HAVE to have them...LOL! No biggie, just a personal preference thing. But I DO think there's more

to be gained by a great amp, than whether or not you use active or passive pickups. But, maybe

that's just me?

CB

Good point' date=' Charlie. I've seen people ask about spending $200+ on pickups and meaningless guitar upgrades while playing through some crap modeling amp or some Chinese toaster over tube amp...just like in the audio world... half of your budget should be at the point of output...amp/speakers... best amp at the $300 point? 70's Fender Champ...point to point wiring and tube rectifier...no amateur night mods necessary...stick a Boss Heavy Metal pedal in front of it and you're good to go...6 watts of unmitigated sonic rudeness..and actually for about $200 you can find a Fender Champ 12 which with a few really easy mods can be pretty good little amp and loud enough to keep up with a reasonably loud drummer...

Nelson

[/quote']

Yeah man! And, possibly a slight bit of Chorus and/or echo, and you're there!

CB

Try the new Zakk Wylde signature (you know the one with half SG half Flying V) may be that'll help you more than the Les pauls. I have used the Les pauls to play metal before and to be honest they are certainly not made for Extreme metals... I haven't played the GX series and so can' tell you about them though I haven't played the New Zakk Series and the Apparition as well but I know they are made for Metal heads..in fact I am going to the city right now and checking out the GX series...

How about a 24 fretted prophecy GX in either the Les Paul or the SG with the Gibson Dirty fingers pickups and coil taps. Seems like a very versatile guitar and will be more than suitable for both hard rock and heavy metal that you may be playing (and without the need for batteries).

Somebody on the forum has one of each and posted pics the other night. Maybe our friend could put them up again for us.

Alan

Here you go!

These are really wonderful guitars. The Dirty Fingers pups can really roar. You can heap on all the distortion you could ever want and they simply do NOT get muddy. However' date=' unlike the EMG's (in my opinion) they can also produce a nice clean sound. Warm and growley with just the right amount of dirt in 'em. I think that's something you might want to consider in case your musical tastes change and you want something a bit more versitile. Plus, let's face it ... they look freakin' HOT! LOL

Have fun making your decision.

MIDI

[img']http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/midiman56/ProphecyTwins.jpg[/img]

Archived