Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul black beauty

Robbyk

Ok so I have had this thing for a year now. I love it to death, but it has a fret buzz it seems at the 1 and 2nd fret. I looked at the neck and noticed it looks fairly straight to me. How much of a releif should this be to stop the buzz. I am sure the neck needs adjusted slighty to stop this. It was fine when i first purchased it, but for the last 6 months or so I have noticed this irritating issue. I have to purchase a straight edge to verify this, but with the eye it looks as flat as it could ever be. It could be from the change in strings? I have started to use the signature Gibson Frehley strings. I love the deeper bottom end. Also if i filed the nut for the strings to fit properly, would it be an issue to use different strings in any time in the future without replacing the nut?

Thanks to all the epi gurus who can answer this.

Robbyk,

Try this:

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm

I check my setup every 6 mo. Hopefully, I don't need to change much.

Read everything 3 times and have fun checking it out.

Most of the adjustments are easy. If you have never adjusted a truss rod you might want to take it to a pro and

watch him do it the first time. But, check the specs out yourself first.

He lists the tools and you do not need a straight edge.

Change in effect on the nut depends on the existing grooves, the gauge of string change, how good the nut was to begin with and probably a lot of other things I can't think of right now.

Let us know how things are progessing. Once you get that far, if you still have a fret buzz there may be other

things to consider. (including the nut)

yeah that first and second fret bit wont be affected much by the truss rod.

and you filed the nut slots.. uh oh! they are notoriously low in many epis to start with.

press string at 3rd fret.

hold there.

check distance between bottom of that string and top of 1st fret.. while holding.

should be a hair.. no more no less.

I suspect yours is touching the top of the 1st fret, and maybe the second.

But that's the first thing to check.

wont matter how much relief you have in it if the saddle is too low, and it wont buzz elsewhere, usually.

TWANG

No I did not file anything, I was wondering if I did. The strings appear to not be fully seated in the nut due to the sizing of the gibson frehley signature string sizing. I guess I will take it to a luthier for a set up. I really don't want to screw it up. I rely on this to playout with.

Thanks all

Archived