Gibson Brands Forums

Painting a guitar?

SomeIdiotDreamer

I recently bought a cheap but tuneful Oscar Schmidt acoustic. I like the thing, it was by far the best sounding of the guitars and it's been a good purchace, but there's one problem.

I can't stand the color.

I'm a freelance illustrator and I'd REALLY like to re-paint the thing, but I'm not sure what kind of paint won't hurt it. Avoiding watercolor is a huge duh, but what's the best paint to use? Acrylics slide right off everything other then the naked wood of the fretboard.

Please tell me how to do this and not ruin my only acoustic guitar.

Yeah you need to rough up the finish or nowt will work. Its the same as painting an electric once the outside lacquer is off. You can you normal car spray paint from an automotive shop (spraypaint) if you wanted to change the whole colour or as customsgjunior said rub down then stain the wood.

Go mad rub off the lacquer then stain it the add some decals like this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sexy-pinup-guitar-waterslide-decals-set-of-nine-4_W0QQitemZ310113915497QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item310113915497&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

you have to put a sealer on it..

you can stain and then apply sealer..

then fine sand

then clearcoat.

cheap: stain, sealer, min wax poly which can even be wiped on if you practice a bit.

It's just thinned poly, so a single coat will do. a spray coat is even thinner if you can do that.

stewmac also has paint and recommendations.

tWANG

Archived