Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie w/questions

ettev

Hey folks! Great forum.

I just bought a pristine Epi LP Elitist Goldtop. The previous owner tells me its a 2006 model. Are there any links that I can go to in order to get specifics on this guitar or can anyone share that info with me? I'm really most interested in what kind of pickups this piece has loaded in it from the factory.

Any other tidbits or suggestions that you might have on these guitars would be appreciated. Things like pickup swaps, action/intonation setups, string sizes, etc.

Congrats on buying one of the best bang for buck guitars out there.

How bout posting a photo? Everyone here loves pics of fine guitars.

I have a 2004 VS Elitist LP Studio and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have no desire to replace anything functional about the guitar although I did swap the all the black trim for cream for that "Slash" look. The pickups are fantastic IMHO.

This link has the info form Musician's Friend even though the item is discontinued.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Elitist-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=518403

Also you might want to check out www.guitardaterproject.org for more info.

Enjoy it and if you ever decide to sell it I'm first in line.

Cheers!

Here are Epi's own specifications from 2006:

Tuners: Grover

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Neck: 1-pc Mahogany, 22 fret

Neck Joint: Set, 16th fret

Nut: 1-11/16", Bone

Scale: 24-3/4"

Top: Hard Maple

Back: Book-Matched Mahogany

Sides: n/a

Rhythm PU: 50SR (USA Humbucker)

Treble PU: 60ST (USA Humbucker)

Controls: 2-V, 2-T; 3-Way Pickup Selector

Hardware: Nickel

Finishes: Metallic Antique Gold

You can access the Epiphone Elitist catalog for 2006 via archive.org if you need pictures or more info:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060514201056/www.epiphone.com/elitist/elitistcatalog.pdf

I always regret missing out on the Elitist '61 SG!

Very cool, congrats on your Goldtop. I got an Elite LP Standard off the bay back in October, and it is the best guitar I have ever owned. I will not sell it either. I have left it bone stock and had it set up for .11's. Plays better, sustains better than Gibson LP's I have played whether in my local Guitar Center or in shops in Nashville.

I have seen people change out the pickups to EMG's or BurstBuckers or whatever their preference may be, but I like the stock pickups. Sound just like 57 Classics to me. I asked a friend who used to work at Gibson if they were 57 Classics or close to their spec. He wouldn't say, but he smiled and nodded his head and congratulated me on my purchase.

I have left it bone stock and had it set up for .11's.

How do you think 9's or 10's would do on this guitar with the stock hardware/electronics? I've always used Erinie Ball 10's until recently when I tried a set of their 9's and really liked them. Just curious. Pics very soon!

I used .009s for quite a while and they work fine.. they'll be ok on yours.

I usually find that .009s and .010s are interchangeable without modifying the nut slots.. but .011s take some work.

They have a little less tone. but they play pretty nice.

TWANG

Excellent collection !!!!! and welcome to the Forum.

I also love my V-Factor....it gives everything I own (other Gibsons, Fenders, Epi's.) a run

for the $$$ on tone.....the pickup combo and body thickness are as near perfect

as i'll ever have.

Love my Sheraton II as much as the V though.

• 1 month later...

Yes these the Elitist Les Pauls are very nice. I picked one up this summer. I did switch out the pickups to 57 classic and classic plus. Don't let people fool you the stock pickups are not 57's. The real 57's sound a lot different, much smoother and less high end bite than the stock ones. To me the switch was great, but this is the tone i'm after.

Archived