Gibson Brands Forums

Please ID This One

Slogold

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Guys

If the seller will remove the neck for you, there should be a red stamp date in the neck pocket on the body... I'm assuming it's the build date. On my 1970 ET-275 it has it, and it reads XX1170 (I don't want to make the day numbers public).... When I had my Crestwood re fretted, my Luthier pointed that out to me. So if that is a build date it would be November XX 1970.

It's missing the original bridge pickup (ask if he or she has it)

Also the chrome vibrato cover and arm are missing.... And I guess they are near impossible to find. I've been offered as high as $300 for mine.

Offer $100 for the guitar and see what happens

bloody hell' date=' there are so many gorgeous models epiphone used to make and all they are pushing now is that prophecy and zak wylde crap #-o [/quote']

Boy that's a big no kidding. Although, I do kinda like the Prophecy SG GX, I don't see any possible excuse for the Zak Wylde ZV thing. But, then again, I've never been a big V fan anyway.

Regardless, Epiphone has a rich history of their own that they should be keeping up with. By the way, I'd love to have the guitar in your picture :-

If the seller will remove the neck for you' date=' there should be a red stamp date in the neck pocket on the body... I'm assuming it's the build date. On my 1970 ET-275 it has it, and it reads XX1170 (I don't want to make the day numbers public).... When I had my Crestwood re fretted, my Luthier pointed that out to me. So if that is a build date it would be November XX 1970.[/quote']

It's a run number..meaningless..as are all numbers on these models to determine date of manufacture. If you actually know anything about the formats these serial numbers used, you'd know that the date comes at the beginning of the number...but when Matsumoku/Aria started making this model for Epiphone in 1971 the numbering became confused and a different format was used for the out-sourced Epiphone models models. Now, if again, you did know anything you know that the very first of these guitars showed up about the middle of 1971 and for the first year or so.. well into 1972 they had an arrow head truss rod cover and after which (mid 1972) they had the faux Kalamazoo truss rod cover with the epsilon ...the one on Craigslist is from post-1972 and your ET-275 is from 1974-1976...not 1970...no matter how you decide to read whatever numbers you stamped on it... and unless you're his sole means of support he's not your luthier..and unless he actually makes guitars he's not a luthier...he's the guitar at the guitar shop who fixes guitars because there's more money in it than playing weekends at the Eagles club..geez

Mr.Nelson

I was informed by more credible sources than you as to the approximate date my guitar was manufactured, though I can appreciate your input (what I read of it), I regard it as just another opinion.

As for my Luthier, he has his own building where he builds his own guitars and will do repairs if he likes you, and you are willing to settle on his initial quote. (In other words there's no haggling). He also builds 100% all tube amps.... So his opinions go a long way with me.

I was informed by more credible sources than you as to the approximate date my guitar was manufactured' date=' though I can appreciate your input (what I read of it), I regard it as just another opinion.

As for my Luthier, he has his own building where he builds his own guitars and will do repairs if he likes you, and you are willing to settle on his initial quote. (In other words there's no haggling). He also builds 100% all tube amps.... So his opinions go a long way with me.[/quote']

I decided to edit my original post because after reading it I realized I allowed an incredibly stupid and insecure person make me come off sounding like one as well...more credible sources than me huh?...pal, I've forgotten more than you'll ever know...but I don't have to prove it to anyone...especially not to you, a person who is seemingly so insecure that they create a fantasy world where all of their possessions are special..and where they dream up fantasies to make themselves feel good..I still want to see some photos of these guitars you claim to have but I don't care if you do or don't...because so far all I've seen from you is bullsh!t and fantasy and don't expect any more than that from you. You are the more insecure and pretentious person I've ever come across on these forums. It's sad and I should feel badly for you not further incite the demons which make you this child who must validate his possessions...or someone who has to brag about their how much they stupidly spend on guitars or guitar parts...though as I think about it...you probably really don't...but you sure enjoy talking like a big spending big shot...I think you're just an incredibly insecure wannabe and there's no point in arguing with you because you really aren't in any position to offer valid debate.

Mr.Nelson

More credible sources than me huh? do you know who one of the main sources for Epiphone serial numbers for the often referred to "Guitar Dater Site was?... right...You are so full of sh!t it isn't funny...everything that's yours has to be special or better...I don't care if he's Leo Fu<king Fender unless you're a touring professional and paying him to take care of your guitars exclusively which you aren't either' date=' he isn't yours no matter how many times you blow him and he takes your money...which you are incredibly stupid or full of sh!t about too..he isn't yours ...You're just some joke who wants to be a big shot on a guitar forum and you figure if you can diminish me you might have a shot....OK big shot..I posted photos...let's see your 80's Randy Rhodes Les Paul...did you notice the color of the one I posted? It used to make me cringe when someone thought mine was bought because it was like Rhodes' this should be interesting..you are such a pretentious asshole and so far all I've seen of your collection is pieced together nonsense and cheap crap...so c'mon big shot..shut me up..post some photos..I did...like I said...one last time, asshole...they didn't make them in 1970 so yours can't be a 1970 no matter what [b']your[/b] luthier says ..Matsumoku didn't use a serial number format that had the year at the end but don't let that stop you and your little fantasies LOL you are such a fu<king loser wannabe...and the bullsh!t you come up with is incredible...why don't you grow up and quit being so damned insecure that you have a need to build everything you have up? You come off like some little kid who wants his toys to be better...

Mr.Nelson

woah..8-[

If the seller will remove the neck for you' date=' there should be a red stamp date in the neck pocket on the body... I'm assuming it's the build date. On my 1970 ET-275 it has it, and it reads XX1170 (I don't want to make the day numbers public).... When I had my Crestwood re fretted, my Luthier pointed that out to me. So if that is a build date it would be November XX 1970.[/quote']

You're wrong.

ET-275 - Crestwood Custom-style double cutaway hardwood body, bolt-on hardwood neck, rosewood fingerboard with dot inlay, vibrato bridge, chrome hardware, 2 pickups, volume/tone controls, pickup selector switch. Available in Sunburst finish. Mfd. 1971 to 1975.

Source:

Click here> Everything SG

1974epicat.jpg

You're wrong.

ET-275 - Crestwood Custom-style double cutaway hardwood body' date=' bolt-on hardwood neck, rosewood fingerboard with dot inlay, vibrato bridge, chrome hardware, 2 pickups, volume/tone controls, pickup selector switch. Available in Sunburst finish. Mfd. 1971 to 1975.

[/i']

Source:

Click here> Everything SG

1974epicat.jpg

and that's wrong...the ET-275 didn't come along until about 1973..and to be more accurate...his "Crestwood" is closer to a Wlilshire...not a Crestwood...the original Crestwood Customs had block markers, bound fretboards..the Wilshire had dots and no neck binding. but neither had full-sized humbuckers or Aria vibrato units lol..that catalog is from 1974 wen they introduced those models officially but they'd been around for maybe a year...or less when that pamphlet came out..

Mr.Nelson

Wow Nelson. Chill out dude. Seriously. That's a bit over the top. Nobody was judging you or anyone else' date=' just expressing their own opinions and information.[/quote']

You are correct and I complete agree and have edited my original post...the problem here is I allowed ignorance and stupidity to control me... because he angered me with his abject stupidity and refusal to listen to the facts...and...those who anger you ,control you...and I won't be controlled by anyone..I didn't make up these dates...anyone can find them with a little effort and if your objective isn't to make that which you own different from what it actually is.. ..my apologies to you and the others for my outburst..

Mr.Nelson

and that's wrong...the ET-275 didn't come along until about 1973..

Mr.Nelson

I know' date=' I just wanted to point out it was [u']after 1970[/u] as you said. The other guy claimed his guitar was made in 1970. I wasn't sure of the exact year, but I posted the catalog page which even indicates 74. Also, on that page (if credible of course) it states "ET-275 Mfd. 1971 to 1975".

More credible sources than me huh?

Sorry but I just dont fully trust individuals that have a need for three usernames on one site

do you know who one of the main sources for Epiphone serial numbers for the often referred to "Guitar Dater Site was?... right...

if you say so... but when I punch in my serial# and model it gives me kalamazoo 1964.... which I know for sure it's not a 1964 Crestwood

You are so full of sh!t it isn't funny...everything that's yours has to be special or better......

Well my guitars are special to me' date=' even the ones I don't play.... Whether they are better, well that's subjective.

I don't care if he's Leo Fu<king Fender unless you're a touring professional and paying him to take care of your guitars exclusively which you aren't either, he isn't yours no matter how many times you blow him and he takes your money...which you are incredibly stupid or full of sh!t about too..he isn't yours ...

Well his name isnt "Leo" but he is my Luthier... And no, he doesnt take blow-jobs as payment for services rendered... He accepts cash and credit cards.

You're just some joke who wants to be a big shot on a guitar forum and you figure if you can diminish me you might have a shot....

I can't change yours or anyone elses perception of my online persona at the Epi forums. However it's not my intention to be above or below any other member. If I have made you feel less than adequate' date=' then I apologize.

OK big shot..I posted photos...let's see your 80's Randy Rhodes Les Paul...did you notice the color of the one I posted? It used to make me cringe when someone thought mine was bought because it was like Rhodes' this should be interesting..you are such a pretentious asshole and so far all I've seen of your collection is pieced together nonsense and cheap crap...so c'mon big shot..shut me up..post some photos..I did...

Yes your Les Paul Custom is very nice, and I have posted images of my Les Paul Custom, look and you shall find. And I'm sorry others have associated your Les Paul purchase with Randy Rhodes.... god forbid.

like I said...one last time' date=' asshole...they didn't make them in 1970 so yours can't be a 1970 no matter what [b']your[/b] luthier says ..Matsumoku didn't use a serial number format that had the year at the end but don't let that stop you and your little fantasies LOL

Well unless you worked at the Matsumoku factory in Japan, you or anyone else wouldnt have a definate clue as to when my Crestwood was built. So I chose to go with the sources I trust.... sorry if that offends you.

you are such a fu<king loser wannabe...and the bullsh!t you come up with is incredible...why don't you grow up and quit being so damned insecure that you have a need to build everything you have up? You come off like some little kid who wants his toys to be better...

Well we've all lost at something at one point in our lives, but that's never made me a quitter, so I can live with your loser label.

Well it not my BS.... I just chose to belive somebody elses BS about my Crestwood. Again I'm sorry I couldnt be more accomodating in believing your BS info about my Crestwood... I know I'll go on, and I'm sure at some point you'll allow yourself to move forward.

I stopped physically growing when I was about 19 years old, and yes I've managed to hold on to some of that boyish charm, (well thats what my better half tells me).

As for my insecurities, I wouldnt be human if I didnt have any, but never at any point while posting did I ever feel that I or any of my guitars are better than anyone eleses.

Hope that clears things up for you

Well we've all lost at something at one point in our lives' date=' but that's never made me a quitter, so I can live with your loser label.

Well it not my BS.... I just chose to belive somebody elses BS about my Crestwood. Again I'm sorry I couldnt be more accomodating in believing your BS info about my Crestwood... I know I'll go on, and I'm sure at some point you'll allow yourself to move forward.

I stopped physically growing when I was about 19 years old, and yes I've managed to hold on to some of that boyish charm, (well thats what my better half tells me).

As for my insecurities, I wouldnt be human if I didnt have any, but never at any point while posting did I ever feel that I or any of my guitars are better than anyone eleses.

hope that clears things up for you

[/quote']

I use only one user name here..Mr.Nelson...in the past I have used others...there is only one me, Einstein...pay attention and you won't look so incredibly stupid...

My BS information can easily be confirmed if you weren't so keen to make what you have something more than it is..

If you aren't trying to make your guitars better than why does an ET-275 suddenly become a top of the line "Crestwwood Custom (which incidentally I did once own...but in the Japanese line they sometimes referred to the ET-290 as a "Crestwood)..and a pretty generic and common arch top becomes a rare prototype just because you aren't able to identify it?.I told you before, I don't pull this sh!t out of my *** and if you actually have a dispute with the factual veracity of my posts you are invited to make me look like an idiot by posting something which prove me incorrect ...and I have my insecurities too...but knowing the truth and factual information usually alleviates them for me...not creating and believing some nonsense.

I see you've augmented your post..but I've already given you far more attention than you deserve so live with what I've said here...and you might be able to impress the clueless with your line of sh!t but I don't have to tell you how completely ridiculous you sound to anyone with even a basic knowledge base of these things...

Mr.Nelson...the one and only..not Gregzy...or Mr. Greg ..not Iconoclast or Uncle Al and not any longer just Nelson.. but .Mr.Nelson...and only Mr.Nelson.

I use only one user name here..Mr.Nelson...in the past I have used others...there is only one me' date=' Einstein...pay attention and you won't look so incredibly stupid...

My BS information can easily be confirmed if you weren't so keen to make what you have something more than it is..

If you aren't trying to make your guitars better than why does an ET-275 suddenly become a top of the line "Crestwwood Custom (which incidentally I did once own...but in the Japanese line they sometimes referred to the ET-290 as a "Crestwood)..and a pretty generic and common arch top becomes a rare prototype just because you aren't able to identify it?.I told you before, I don't pull this sh!t out of my *** and if you actually have a dispute with the factual veracity of my posts you are invited to make me look like an idiot by posting something which prove me incorrect ...and I have my insecurities too...but knowing the truth and factual information usually alleviates them for me...not creating and believing some nonsense.

Mr.Nelson...the one and only..not Gregzy...or Mr. Greg ..not Iconoclast or Uncle Al and not any longer just Nelson.. but .Mr.Nelson...and only Mr.Nelson.

[/quote']

never considered mt ET-275 a custom nor a top of the line, nor have I stated as such.... As for my archtop, I went with an expert opinion as to what he felt my archtop is. Until somebody comes up with more info as to what it really is, it will remain a mystery.

Sorry but I confer with others before I purchase a guitar, and others don't mean Mr Nelson, Nelson, and that other username you have.

Archived