Gibson Brands Forums

pickup replacements for Sheraton II

monty

hello

I have a Korean Sheraton II. I want to replace the pickups. Looking for a kind of a soul/ funk/west african sound.

Not too hot sounding. I'm looking into Seymore Duncan APH-1 and SH-2. Anyone have any experience installing these?

I imagine they should fit with out any problems. Any info is appreciated. Also any other pickup recommendations are welcome too.

thanks

i'm not sure if it's what your looking for, but if you were ever interested in the lace alumitone, it's kind of hi-fi sounding, no noise/microphonics... get some interesting sounds out of it with the tone dial (especially distorted)

but soul/funk/west african? i'm not sure you can really get that in a pickup... that has more to do with how you play it (and maybe what strings/effects you use) most pickups -save a few radical designs and some super high output ones- that are humbuckers are made to sound like the old PAF humbuckers.

just shop around. what one person may think is suitable for your style is not necessarily what YOU are looking for. imagine if someone was looking for a guitar that could do rock and roll... you could suggest a strat (like buddy holly) or an es335 (like chuck berry) and both would work for that style, but they sound different.

but i'm guessing the biggest difference that you'll find between your current pickups and those seymour duncan pickups are quality. they're both alnico humbuckers, designed to sound like old pickups.

i guess tWANG might be able to help too...

I put SD Anniversary pickups in my '95 Samick Sheraton II. The set consisted of a Jazz neck pickup and a JB bridge pickup. It sounded really good through my Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight. I traded it off after I found a 335 for a really good price.

I have written a little treatise on rewiring the Sheraton. If you'd like a copy, PM me. I have posted it here, but it's sort of long for that.

Archived