Gibson Brands Forums

Need help ID'ing an Epiphone electric

Sean9872

Hi all' date=' I have an Epiphone electric I am trying to identify. There are no numbers(SN or model). I have posted a few pics below, and have others if you need others.

[img']http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/sean9872/Picture097.jpg[/img]

Picture102.jpg

Picture105.jpg

Picture103.jpg

It's a strange version of an Epiphone ET-278...most had stop tail pieces but yours looks like it has the vibrato unit found on the lower down the line ET-275 which came in sunburst..but yours is is black and has fret board binding like the ET-278..not surprising because they had a few oddities and cross overs of features,- especially later in the run...1976 and after- with these models which were very loosely based on the previous Kalamazoo Coronet/Wilshire/Crestwood models but were quite different in that they had bolt-on necks and full sized humbuckers and very different level of build and material quality and completely different materials. They were made in Japan by Matsumoku who also made Aria guitars including some models very similar to yours with a slightly different headstock and the Aria brand name. They were made from about 1973 until about 1978. Not real rare or valuable-under $200 but if it works for you as a guitar that's all that matters. Good luck

Here's a page from a 1974 catalog with your model listed

pg8-9.jpg

Mr.Nelson

Hi all' date=' I have an Epiphone electric I am trying to identify. There are no numbers(SN or model). I have posted a few pics below, and have others if you need others.[/quote']

I have the Sunburst ET-275, and mine still has the serial # on the neck plate, but I've been told that serial# don't mean much in regards dating. It does have other stamped numbers in the body neck pocket which appears to be a date. I've been told mine was manufactured in 1970, but it does state my guitar was made through 71-75.

I've seen your style ET black crestwood, and the one you have was my first choice because the binding really looks nice. But the very few that were for sale were total wrecks. Yours is one of the nicest ones I've seen, and if you ever want to sell it, just let me know. But you should hold on to it. I've seen my sunburst ET-275 go as high as $700, I've been offered $600 for mine. They are rare guitars, especially in all original condition.

IMO, it's a fantastic guitar and sounds mean, I just wished it had one more fret.... I play mine all the time

My Crestwood ET-275

269304.jpg

271275.jpg

All my guitars are rare and extraordinary collectibles...just because they're mine...and I'm as stupid as anyone could believe possible

Hahahahahaha youi just can't help displaying your abject stupidity for all to see can you?...anyone who would pay $600 for that guitar is as stupid as you...as hard as that is to believe to be possible after all the other self-aggrandizing nonsense you've posted here...and you're even more stupid than I previously thought if you didn't take the $600 offer since they constantly come up on E Bay for around $200...and again' date=' the ET-290 was the Crestwood model not your lower end ET-275 which was more ,though extremely vaguely, like a Wilshire..and there was also an ET-290 N model with a maple fretboard that came out in about 1975 but don't let the facts stand in the way of your delusional thinking and refusal to grasp even basic truths about your guitars...and one last time , Joker..NO EPIPHONE GUITARS WERE MADE IN JAPAN PRIOR TO 1971 and that first model was the ET-270...The ET 275 and the other models such as the ET-275 and the ET-290 CRESTWOOD came along about 1973 and remained until about 1978...get a friggin' clue, dreamer..and if you can find a more-informed source than myself, post the information...otherwise STF and keep your delusional fantasies to yourself instead of trying to perpetuate misinformation and bullsh!t in order to make your weak little ego feel more secure about the crap you own...If your guitar was made in 1970 and the model was supposedly only made from 1971 until 1975 and there it is in both my 1976 and my 1977 dealer catalogs.. why doesn't it appear in the 1971 Epiphone catalog but the ET-270 is there???...

This is an ET-290 Crestwood:

no_hotlinking.jpg

This is an ET-290N Crestwood(though actually it should have been called an ET-278N) with a natural finish and an unbound neck with dot markers-an example of what I said about later models having mixed features..:

pic1.jpg

Yours is an ET-275 and my guess is Sean's is also an ET-275 but with an ET-278 neck

Please, if you can, dispute what I've posted with something more than your delusional wishful thinking or more Wikipedia crap...you are soooo full of sh!t. You have a very common ET-275 that was made between 1973 and 1978...deal with it and it's worth about and can be had at nearly any time on E Bay for around $200...and yeah, I'm certain some mis-informed idiot like yourself probably has listed one there for some stupid asking price but that doesn't count..what you actually get is what matters

Mr.Nelson...and no, I'm not Marx Brothers ...which what I think you've been trying to get at,,but ironically I've had bigger go 'rounds with him..back before you probably had a real guitar...still waiting for a photo of that Les Paul Custom, big shot..but the thing about Marxy? he knows his sh!t and when someone knows what they're talking about I'll concede and defer to them...Marxy over the years has proved his knowledge and is currently the only other one I know of in this forum who has any real background and if he said something I'd be very inclined to believe without question he knew what he was talking about even if he doesn't possess my people skills and diplomatic manner....with you it's all about manufactured fantasy to try to make yourself and your crap look better...what a joke you are....wouldn't you be happier on Harmony Central with the other kids who are living in their fantasy worlds?

Mr.Nelson

FWIW...I did take a Dealing with difficult people seminar last week. Does it show? Do I give a s h i t? Probably not. I'm kinder and gentler for it I'm sure.=D>

As always your facts are without dispute, carry on Capt. Nelson...is that from Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea?

Anyhow I must go attend to my turntable, my copy of Patsy Cline doing Crazy is riding the label and my vintage table has no auto arm lift.....

FWIW...I did take a Dealing with difficult people seminar last week. Does it show? Do I give a s h i t? Probably not. I'm kinder and gentler for it I'm sure.=D>

As always your facts are without dispute' date=' carry on Capt. Nelson...is that from Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea?

Anyhow I must go attend to my turntable, my copy of Patsy Cline doing Crazy is riding the label and my vintage table has no auto arm lift.....[/quote']

Yeah, I did the Dale Carnegie thing back in the 90's... Nelson comes from my birth certificate (though keep that to yourself or I'll have a yard full of cyber stalkers wanting to take me to the playground lol)..Capt (?) Nelson...wasn't that Walter Pidgeon in the film and Richard Basehart on TV and wasn't it Admiral Nelson ...I can't remember the Captain's last name on the program but it seems his first name was Lee?(?) and he was played by David Hedison on TV but don't remember who played him in the film ..I haven't seen the film or the TV show in ages...but always liked them and the Seaview was one bad bath tub toy...I think I made a half dozen models of it when I was a younger brat lol... Actually I like to think of Horatio when I think of Nelson...I do get pretty pompous tooling around in my little SeaRay... but maybe not that pompous lol..I just have a couple of cheap Sony turntables from the 80's...I dug one out and bought a new cartridge (one of those super audiophile P-mount jobbies lol-but in the day I dumped a few bucks on those Shure V-15s but that's as serious as I ever got) a few years ago with the intention of of putting my records on CDs but I never got past the planning stages ..

Later...give my best to Patsy.

Mr.Nelson

Hahahahahaha

that's about all that was worth reading ..... And you are wrong, my guitar was built from 1971-1975...... and it is a Crestwood, and it's a great guitar, and I'm a very proud owner.....

You can now move forward and re-word my post like a typical 10 year old armpit smelling bully, and continue the name calling like a bratty little boy with no active parenting 8-[=D> =D> BRAVO for you Mr. Nelson, you come off so brilliant=d>

that's about all that was worth reading ..... And you are wrong' date=' my guitar was built from 1971-1975...... and it is a Crestwood, and it's a great guitar, and I'm a very proud owner.....

You can now move forward and re-word my post like a typical 10 year old armpit smelling bully, and continue the name calling like a bratty little boy with no active parenting :P =D> =D> BRAVO for you Mr. Nelson, you come off so brilliant=d>

[/quote']BTW...just wonderin...how's that $1300 LP Custom doing?

duane' date=' why don't you write to gibson/epiphone with all the information about your guitar and pictures and get their response?

[/quote']

I agree. All the responses that question the age and model name of Duane's guitar that I've seen so far are purely conjecture. Where is that 1971 catalogue that was mentioned in the other thread? Are there any old newspaper/guitar magazine clippings? If these were to be scanned and posted up then that would be the end of the matter.

Duane, I think you need to be cautious about replying to threads from newbies asking for information about guitars like yours. I believe that you may be being deliberately drawn in to another round in the ring with a commensurate battery of foul-mouthed personal abuse; the ultimate aim being to drive you away from the forum.

Also, don't believe that your tormentor has divulged all of his other usernames. Apart from the one that is virtually identical to the current, I don't recollect seeing any of those other usernames on the posts I've been reading since I joined. However, do take a careful look at some of the congratulatory posts your tormentor gets from certain other users, including those beginning M.B. and G. If you then look at postings in other threads by these cronies, you will see that they very frequently adopt the very same aggressive and abusive approach. To me, there's a very good chance these are all of the same origin.

My personal stance is not to reply to any posts by these usernames.

Nobody on this, or any other open forum, should ever forget that it is their right to freely express innocuous opinions without being subjected to a torrent of highly personal verbal abuse. If other people feel strongly about contesting opinions, then a polite reply with supporting evidence should form the basis of the response.

(i'm not trying to offend anyone or question Mr Nelson's knowledge :-$ )

duane' date=' why don't you write to gibson/epiphone with all the information about your guitar and pictures and get their response?

[/quote']

Ya I have done that and received a few responses, and they all state the same 70 to 75. I also received a response from a gentleman that worked at the Matsumoko factory from 1968 to 1977, after he saw my guitar listed in the Guitar Museum, and I asked him about the particulars concerning my guitar, and he stated they started builds on these in early 1970's, but he didn't know exactly when they stopped building them.... And that was about it.

So that's what I go with....

I agree. All the responses that question the age and model name of Duane's guitar that I've seen so far are purely conjecture. Where is that 1971 catalogue that was mentioned in the other thread? Are there any old newspaper/guitar magazine clippings? If these were to be scanned and posted up then that would be the end of the matter.

Duane' date=' I think you need to be cautious about replying to threads from newbies asking for information about guitars like yours. I believe that you may be being deliberately drawn in to another round in the ring with a commensurate battery of foul-mouthed personal abuse; the ultimate aim being to drive you away from the forum.

Also, don't believe that your tormentor has divulged [i']all[/i] of his other usernames. Apart from the one that is virtually identical to the current, I don't recollect seeing any of those other usernames on the posts I've been reading since I joined. However, do take a careful look at some of the congratulatory posts your tormentor gets from certain other users, including those beginning M.B. and G. If you then look at postings in other threads by these cronies, you will see that they very frequently adopt the very same aggressive and abusive approach. To me, there's a very good chance these are all of the same origin.

My personal stance is not to reply to any posts by these usernames.

Nobody on this, or any other open forum, should ever forget that it is their right to freely express innocuous opinions without being subjected to a torrent of highly personal verbal abuse. If other people feel strongly about contesting opinions, then a polite reply with supporting evidence should form the basis of the response.

I really do appreciate the concern, but I don't let anyone one push me around or scare me off, especially a forum member with three usernames. That alone should pretty much tell you about someone that has to create a blind allegiance with pretend Epi members....LOL....too funny.

However if you think it would be better for the over-all health of the forum to not reply to Nelson and his three invisible friends.... I will give it some serious thought.... And again I truly appreciate your opinion on this one epiplayer :thumbsup:

Archived