Gibson Brands Forums

les paul standard how many layers in body

tonedogg

HI guys, how many layers of wood are used to make the body of a les paul standard, 2006 model, in mine there seems to be about 5 or 6 layers, though I have a feeling it is a fake anyway=d> inside the control space is not painted and i can see the layers.

Yes, you have a fake, sir. If you are seeing layers inside the control cavity, that means plywood. The only "layers" you should be able to see would be the switch from body to cap. Should be mahogany to maple, or mahogany to mahogany... But if you're seeing more than one transition line, that's plywood. Neither epiphone nor Gibson uses plywood bodies for any of their guitars except for maybe the entry level epi stuff, like the $100 to $150 bolt-ons. Counterfeits are notorious for plywood bodies though, especially on solid colors. It's one of the main ways they cut their production costs, aside from slave labor and dirt cheap hardware and electronics.

Hard to say on the headstock, but the cavity looks pretty suspect, as does the positioning of the knobs. As I understand it, the volume and tone knobs for the bridge pickup should line up with the screw in the pickguard, and yours don't. Hard to tell for sure though... Post a new "is this a fake" thread and you'll get more people who know more about it to give you a definitive answer. You'll want some more closeup shots of the headstock, taken straight on with as little camera angle as possible, and a clear shot of the serial number and back of the headstock as well. Try to get a straight on pic of just the body too, for a better look at the knob placement. My guess though is that it's a fake...

Dunno haw many if any of y'all go to MLP forums, but they seem really into "fake detection" .... maybe post some more good pics here and over there in http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/12286-fake-epiphone-thread.html#post187580 .... massive thread dedicated to helping folks out on this issue .... using what little I know, I tend to agree with those mentioning the control cavity and the knob placement, but.... what do I know :-k

thanks guys , yeah seen the fake epi forum on my LP, the photos on that are mainly for models built from 2008 this is a 2006, though the screw in the pickguard on mine is knackered looks like someone went at it with wrong size driver, and 1 screw in the truss cover is loose. yeah done the control knob line up test and they point to the pickup selector lol. not to worry too much about this guitar as I am claiming my money back under the distance selling act ( UK Law), but just wanted to add more weight to any arguments, and if this seller is providing fakes who knows he may get done?

The serial checked out on the guitar project site, though I know they can be cloned from an original, and Epi europe are'nt 100% sure if it is fake.

Hi Tonedogg,

I am attaching a picture of my Epi LP Standard. Please note the "thin-ness" of the "Les Paul" font and Yours look so thick. I bet it was silk-screened when it should be built-in into the headstock's covering Also, look at the shape of the truss rod cover and how it comes in 2 or 3-ply. The nut being black is strange, but this could have been changed by the previous owner.

gedc0617aki3.jpg

it was supposed to be new, so there shouldn't have been any other owners, that's part of the reason i was suspicious, allegedly new but allegedly built over 2 years ago, gonna report Mzonline aka jarl to trading standards in UK for dealing in fake goods or at worst false advertising, by the way the newer truss covers are flat along the nut. looking at the forums some of the older korean made LP's do look different from the newer MIC ones.

My LP is Korean from the late 90's, I forgot to mention that. Also, my tuners were changed as the originals were falling apart.

Good luck to you on getting your money back. There is a thread in gibson.com under "Lifestyles" on "how to spot a fake Gibson". In that story, Gibson helped the victim to get their money back, they made sure the scammer was arrested. The guitar in question was a Gibson, but you can try contacting Gibson or Epiphone in your country and see if they are willing to help you on this fake Epi guitar.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/CounterfeitGibsons/

Never seen a completely unfinished control cavity on an Epi' date=' or those pots. I would say fake. I've seen worse fakes posted here though. [/quote']

Dude, that chromed out platinum LP in your avatar is beautiful, where'd you get it? That's a Gibson from a few years back, right?

Sorry for the OT post, but I had to ask, LOL!

Archived