Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 58 korina v for metal etc????

logan150

Hello!

Does anyone can say something about that guitar.Is it suites for heavier types of music?

I heard that the stock pickups aren't too good (usually too muddy).once i had explorer 58 korina and the sound of it was realy muddy.i'm thinking is it the same situation with flying v?

I'd like to put some dimarzio tonezone or something like this if i decide to buy it.Any suggestions??

if there was a topic like this -sorry;)i couldn't find it.sorry for my english

Hello!

Does anyone can say something about that guitar.Is it suites for heavier types of music?

I heard that the stock pickups aren't too good (usually too muddy).once i had explorer 58 korina and the sound of it was realy muddy.i'm thinking is it the same situation with flying v?

I'd like to put some dimarzio tonezone or something like this if i decide to buy it.Any suggestions??

if there was a topic like this -sorry;)i couldn't find it.sorry for my english

If you want to play the higher gain stuff like Metallica, how about the Epiphone prophecy series? They come in Les Paul, SG, pseudoExplorer and pseudoSt**t shapes with high gain friendly pickups. People seem to say the ones with split coiled dirty fingers pickups are the most versatile. These are good for both high and low gain work.

A korina Flying V looks the business, but the pickups may get muddy as you crank things up. It would be very good if you prefer to play hard rock and blues though.

I thought about prophecy series. probably they aren't bad guitars.but with all that models i feel unconfortable especially with explorer.and i don't like emgs and dirty fingers. i know the epi 58 korina with diffrent pickups will sound amazing on clean channel but i'm affraid that even if i will put other good pickups(dimarzio or seymour) it'll be still too muddy on dirty channel.i wandering mybe the muddy sound is made by korina wood.i'd like to put there dimarzio pickups do you think it's a good idea??does anyone have that epi with some dimarzio or seymour pickups?mybe it will solve the problem of muddy sound on higain amp??

Can't speak for the V, but I had the Epi korina Explorer with Duncan pickups in it and it sounded AMAZING. Probably the best sounding guitar I've ever played through my Mesa. I only sold it because I could never get comfortable with the shape... I'm a Les Paul man through and through... But no, the wood isn't the problem, it's the sub-par stock pickups. Pull them out, throw them away, and put a Duncan JB in the bridge and a Jazz or a '59 in the neck, and you won't be disappointed. I prefer the '59s in both positions on my pauls, but the JB is a hotter pickup, and more suited for what you're looking for. Musician's Friend sells the Jazz/JB set for $130.95, which saves you about $10 instead of buying them separately. Don't be tempted to order Duncans with covers on them though, the covers will muddy up the tone as well. (I made that mistake on my blue Epi LP Standard. Never again, LOL!!!)

I don't think any muddiness would be caused by the wood itself (though the Epiphone "Korina" V just has a Korina veneer).

I think generation zero is leading you in the right direction pickup-wise. If you want to avoid mud, I wouldn't go overly hot. A good medium gain pickup will give you the best of both worlds.

I thought about prophecy series. probably they aren't bad guitars.but with all that models i feel unconfortable especially with explorer.and i don't like emgs and dirty fingers. i know the epi 58 korina with diffrent pickups will sound amazing on clean channel but i'm affraid that even if i will put other good pickups(dimarzio or seymour) it'll be still too muddy on dirty channel.i wandering mybe the muddy sound is made by korina wood.i'd like to put there dimarzio pickups do you think it's a good idea??does anyone have that epi with some dimarzio or seymour pickups?mybe it will solve the problem of muddy sound on higain amp??

Well, maybe this is too expensive but I've heard good things about the zakk wylde gibson v. At $4,000 USD (I don't know the conversions) it's pretty steep.

GC

I can't imagine the stock Epi crap pups doing anything good.

But again, many folks have issues with the shape, doesn't bother me.

I could play a V or Explorer all day, but a lot of folks take issue with the shape/comfort factor. Michael Schenker with UFO sure made use of a flying v.

msv1a.jpg

I can't imagine the stock Epi crap pups doing anything good.

Believe it or not, I have improved a guitar by putting epi pups in it on two occasions...

I put the gold buckers from an epi LP custom in my fake PRS when I first got it. It sounded better than the bargain bin crap they had in it, but still not quite good enough to be stageworthy. I eventually put a set of duncans in it, and now it's usable. Sounds pretty good, for what it is. It's nowhere near PRS quality obviously, but it's okay. Almost as good as an SE, but it looks a little more like a real custom 22.

The other one was my POS squire bullet strat, my beater. A set of epi buckers in place of the 3 single coil refrigerator magnets that came in that made a VAST improvement. Granted, it doesn't sound very strat-like, but it has plenty of power. The thin, brittleness of the plywood body offsets the muddiness of the pickups, and the combination actually sounds really good.

So, yeah, the epi pickups are pretty much junk, but they are worth keeping in a junk drawer, you never know when you might stumble across a total piece of crap guitar that they might actually be an improvement in!

Archived