Gibson Brands Forums

The fake Epihone thread. should it be a sticky.

tonedogg

HI all, with all the knowledge that should be on this forum, and all the fake Epi's going round maybe we should have a sticky thread so we can discuss and post pics to help each other out. I know this has been covered in other threads about whether someones guitar is fake, but the fakes are getting better, and to have 1 place to find the info, instead of having to trawl through all the threads may be more useful.

Problem is - the 'spurts here sticky a post with a really good detailed breakdown of all the things that the fakers usually get wrong, and the fakers all make a bee-line for it to find out what they SHOULD be doing.

Sure - they could trawl through the posts right now for ideas, but that takes time and effort, though I am sure they do just that. I am in the antiques business - and big fairs in the UK see oriental buyers looking for saleable things to take back home to be repro'd. Within six months, sometimes less - the market is awash with reproductions of the very item we saw them buying. My point is that they could, can and DO buy a real guitar, take that home, dissect it and start reproducing them anyway, and with help and advice from the factories where they are currently producing stuff under licence or for other makers.....

Maybe a sticky kept up to date is not such a bad idea - at least it keeps buyers abreast of the fakes.....

Well I have to say that after watching these counterfeit sites first hand now for about a year and a half that there's no more worry of fake guitars other than those that were on the market before November 2008,January the 15th news was released that a group effort by what looked to be four major stringed instrument manufacturers,not including Gibson hired a law firm to approach the Chinese government about these counterfeiters.

This resulted in the raiding of what was likely the two largest manufacturers of counterfeit guitars in China,as a result of these raids other online seller sites look to have closed shop so what few Epiphine fakes that were around will like remain in the ownership of those that had them imported or those who had the misfortune to have gotten stuck with one I have noticed only a few counterfeits on Ebay within the past couple of months and those were Gibsons.

Why Gibson had no part in the group that had these raids done is likely because they have trade agreements pending and business relationships with factories in China.

Well I have to say that after watching these counterfeit sites first hand now for about a year and a half that there's no more worry of fake guitars other than those that were on the market before November 2008' date='January the 15th news was released that a group effort by what looked to be four major stringed instrument manufacturers,not including Gibson hired a law firm to approach the Chinese government about these counterfeiters.

This resulted in the raiding of what was likely the two largest manufacturers of counterfeit guitars in China,as a result of these raids other online seller sites look to have closed shop so what few Epiphine fakes that were around will like remain in the ownership of those that had them imported or those who had the misfortune to have gotten stuck with one I have noticed only a few counterfeits on Ebay within the past couple of months and those were Gibsons.

Why Gibson had no part in the group that had these raids done is likely because they have trade agreements pending and business relationships with factories in China.[/quote']

It is nice to know that the fakes from China might be finally coming to an end. If they are not there on Ebay anymore, they appeared to have moved on to Craigslist instead. I have been seeing a lot of Goldtops for sale recently on Craigslist, it looks like everyone has one to sell. These are supposed to be less of them out there than the normal Standard model, but it is the opposite of this, so a lot of these Goldtops for sale must be fake.

If this is a felony, people are still willing to take chances and scam others in the US on Craigslist. My guess is that these scammers will only offer to meet you at some gas station and show the guitar there and only call you from a public phone to make the appointment. Then, days after you find out you got scammed, you don't have their address or their phone number.

Archived