Gibson Brands Forums

Gotoh Tuners: Should I upgrade?

RedHouse

I have an Epiphone S-310 strat copy from the late 90's. It has been my main electric since it was new and it has been upgraded with Dimarzio pickups. I'd like to upgrade the tuners since they are getting a little worn out. I like the Gotoh Mini 510 tuners at Stewart MacDonald (anyone know if I can get these cheaper elsewhere?). They have locking 510's that are $15 more than the standard 510's. Are the locking tuners better for people who go nuts with the whammy bar? Anyone have Gotoh tuners? How do you like them? I really like the Cosmo black finish.

Thanks,

Justin

I've always stuck with grover locking tuners on strat style guitars..

and they work great and look good.

I haven't tried the gotohs, but I know they're well made. so check the ratio and choose what you like is what I'd say.

tWANG

I replaced the cheap POS tuners on my '97 Epi SG Jr. with some Nickel Gotohs. They are the small button-type (SD90, I believe is the #). They totally transformed my guitar. The 1:15 ratio is awesome. I think you will like them.

My Kramer has some pretty beat up Gotohs on it and they still work fine...but then again, it also has a Floyd with a locknut, so the tuners dont really get used aside from restringing. Incidently, my Epiphone S-500 strat came with Gotoh knockoffs that work pretty well.

I do like the idea of locking tuners, though. I would definately go that route regardless of brand.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not able to get to a computer for the majority of the week and I forgot about even starting this thread. If I ordered tuners from StewMac, would it matter that my guitar is left handed? Those tuners should mount either way, right?

Archived