Gibson Brands Forums

Compressor after guitar or in FX loop?

mrjones200x

Hi have asked a few questions on compressor effects and how to use and i just seen an artical saying the FX loop on the amp is more designed for modulation effects and that i sholud use my distortions and compressors straight out of the guitar and into the amp input

They suggest;

Guitar-Comp-Distortion effects including Overdrives ect-Amp input

FX Loop as follows;

Wah-Phaser-chorus-delay

Thanks

Any ideas of your own helpful too

yep. compressor in front. same with overdrive, distortion.

reverb delays, modulation.. after the preamp. therefore in the loop.

You'll get much better results from all of them.

you can vary the order.. according to your ears. and how the noise is in a given chain.. nothing hard and fast there since everyone

uses different gear.

I hate my vj with the reverb between the guitar and the amp..some use reverb pedals that way though.. so there can be changes

for a couple of things, like reverb and delay.. but for me.. in the loop with everything but the compressor, and anything that drives the preamp, even clean drives.

TWANG

The specific effect can make a difference too --- most stomp boxes are designed to work with guitar signal levels and will sound better between the guitar and amp than in an effects loop. Conversely, most rack-mount effects are designed for line-level signals and work better in the loop.

My compressor is in the amp and I use a Tube Screamer in front of the amp input. I only use the compression if I need it for a certain sound, generally for long sustain for certain solos.

Ideally, compression should be applied to a clean guitar signal, then the signal gets processed later in the chain. In my Korg D3200 home studio, I apply compression to the vocals separately and apply another compression step to all tracks the final mix to even out the mix so that quiet passages don't get lost, but that's a 2.0 comp level that just evens things up and makes the mix sound better.

Here's a link that talks about order in the effects chain.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/fx-order.htm

The specific effect can make a difference too --- most stomp boxes are designed to work with guitar signal levels and will sound better between the guitar and amp than in an effects loop. Conversely' date=' most rack-mount effects are designed for line-level signals and work better in the loop.[/quote']

yeah. where's my head?

amps vary in their loop configuration and features.

TWANG

From my amateur perspective, I have read that it is a great idea to put a EQ in the loop as well. This was from a highly professional engineer. He says to use an EQ before the amp input and another one in the loop

Duffy

Archived