Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Studio wiring??

jlg

Folks,

I was playing a used Dot Studio at a shop today, and I noticed looking in the lower F-hole, the wires were a) very visible, and :-& rather loosely wired (not neatly done).

Is this standard with these guitars (it's the only one I've seen in person)? I don't know if maybe it has been re-wired or not --- it's a June 2005 worn cherry (which is a lot darker than the pic's I've seen online).

It sounds great -- very good tonal range from booming bass to nice trebles, so I don't think there are any real issues here other than cosmetic. Another cosmetic issue are the knobs -- they both look to be on the posts at angle so they look like they wobble a bit when turned - I'm guessing that can be fixed with new knobs.

Anyway, it's a pretty good deal -- $250 with case, so I may pick it up. I just wanted to check if the wiring is normal for this (anyone have pics of the wiring looking into the F-Hole on these gutars???).

Thanks!

The same guy wired my Joe Pass and there seems to be "harness type connectors", too! LOL

Everything seems to be working OK and someday will do build/buy a wiring harness, CTS

pots, the whole kit.

I'm going to give it a few years before I do that.

FWIW, enjoy the guitar and if it's not broken...

Great -- thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't looking at some sort of wiring-job-gone-bad, and then they just threw the original pups back in.

Also, does anyone know if the pups on the Dot Studio are 4-wire (could I add some push-pull pots and/or mini toggles to get the various single-coil, out-of-phase, etc. setups with the stock pups?).

Thanks - I guess if I do pick this up, my ideas of wiring will have to wait until I decide if I want new pups or not!

Thanks for the help!

P.S. One other quick question -- I am pretty sure this is a worn Cherry finish, but it is VERY dark compared to images I see of new guitars. Did Epiphone have a dark worn wine-red finish for this guitar at any point, or has this just aged gracefully!!!

I don't think they've been around long enough for any of them to have "aged" at all, but I guess if if cherry-er than all of the pictures online, it must just be a lucky break. I personally don't care for the worn cherry ones I've seen, but I'd love to see this one if you think it looks better han the rest.

And if you're on the fence about getting one, I'd say do it. I love mine, I have the worn sunburst one. The stock pups actually aren't that bad. Of course almost any aftermarket pickup will be an improvement, but give them a chance, they really aren't that bad. I've had mine for about 3 years and it's completely stock. The only thing I've really considered changing is the hardware to chrome and putting covers on the pickups - the black makes everything way too dark and I hate the way uncovered pickups look on hollowbodies. Purely cosmetics though, nothing functionally wrong with them.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of wiring, the great thing about the studio is that the wiring is all really close to the f-hole, so if you did decide to change the pups/pots/switch/whatever, it's easy to reach in and fish out all the wiring.

If it's actually cherry veneer on the top, it is highly likely that it has just darkened with age. Many woods darken rather quickly with a clear or stained finish on them... The lighter color stain, the faster and more dramatic the color change. We have built cabinets out of cherry before and been called to replace a damaged door less than 6 months later, and found that even using wood from the same lot as the original doors were made, matching the color was almost impossible. Our lumber was stored in relative darkness in racks under the tablesaw, where the cabinets are obviously exposed to regular daylight. Less than 6 months was long enough for the cabinets to darken by about 2 to 3 shades. We had to stain the replacement doors to match, while the original run was clear lacquer. Even if it's a stained maple finish, it's still possible. Maple does this too, just not quite as drastic as cherry. But over what, 3 or 4 years? Yeah, that guitar has just darkened with age. It was probably kept out of its' case on a stand or hanger for some time, which would help the darkening process along. It's natural, nothing to worry about.

According to the Epi specs the Dot Studios are mahogany rather than maple as found on the regular dots so I'm guessing that the cherry just refers to the colour of the stain.

BTW if you fish around inside the body through the lower F hole you should find a cable tidy suck to the underside of the top. The wires may have come out of this or, as in the case of mine when I swapped the pups, never got put back.

Hey Folks,

just another quick question on this guitar (I'm probably going to pick it up this weekend: used, $250 with hard case).

The store just told me the guitar has a "satin red" finish (I though it was just a darkish worn cherry).

Does anyone know about this particular finish with the Dot studio -- or any images of one?

I've seen an image of the Dot satin red, but that is still much brighter red than the guitar I'm looking at.

Of course, they could just be mistaken (or whoever sold it to them was misinformed also!).

AFAIK, There are 3 reds that they come/came in:

"Worn Cherry"

"Tomato" (discontinued)

"Cherry" (Limited Edition) similar to a regular Dot

The "worn" finishes are more flat than shiny. I know they can vary, because my "Worn Brown" doesn't look like any others I've seen.

Guitar1-1.jpg

OK folks, I did get to pick up this guitar today -- thanks for all of your help. It is Definitely a worn Cherry (label inside has Dot StudioWC on it!).

It's from june 2005, looks to have had the pup toggle replaced at some point. Anyway, sounds great, plays great, very pleased!

I've got to see what I can do -- I may resort to some wire ties also, but I haven't really done anything to her yet other than general cleaning. Once I get the strings off, etc., I'll see what is up.

I'd like to replace the bezels around the pickups (just cosmetic == they are scratched to hell), and I'd also like to replace the screws for the bezels and pups -- anyone have a good source? The bridge pup adjustment screw is annoying my right hand when I'm picking!.

Receiving the exact same guitar in a couple days as a gift. Was in the market for a Dot Deluxe but free will do in a pinch. Gonna throw in some new pups after I get her played a bit. (Ideas anyone?) Congrats on your find!

GFS Mean 90's sound great in the Dot Studio

Archived