Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Tuners

mjr

They should fit from the back no problem.

so we look at the bushings..

you have grovers.. which screw in.

these have press fit, which are usually smaller.

if you click on stew macs 'specs' for grovers and these.. you can see these have smaller bushings.

you can also see the shaft size varys. the grover have a thicker base part..

the bushings would hold the shaft fine, if they were big enough for the holes on the headstock face, but they aren't.

So I'd say not.

10mm (13/32") diameter pegholes required.

for full size grovers..and even mid size.

while the tuners you're looking at have only 7.19mm for the bushing inside holes. so it doesn't seem to me the bushings would be big enough

to fit the pegholes.

you can check with stew mac.. !

TWANG

Mjr...Can I ask a "dumb question" here? WHY...do you want to go to "strip tuners," from nice Grovers?

Is it going to be a "prop" for some movie, where it needs to "look the part," of some '50's guitar?

Sorry...not trying to be disrespectful, at all...just curious, as it seems an unusual way to go, for a "Dot!" ;>O

CB

Mjr...Can I ask a "dumb question" here? WHY...do you want to go to "strip tuners' date='" from nice Grovers?

Is it going to be a "prop" for some movie, where it needs to "look the part," of some '50's guitar?

Sorry...not trying to be disrespectful, at all...just curious, as it seems an unusual way to go, for a "Dot!" ;>O

CB[/quote']

Well I actually don't have the dot yet. I'm getting it Friday. My epi les paul tuners sorta suck and I thought this would be an upgrade. Do you know the ratio of the stock tuners? I'm also gonna put a bigsby on it.

Personally, I wouldn't put those tuners on. I don't care for the looks of them, but that is just me. I changed the tuners on my Dot to these:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Deluxe_Keystones.html

The tuners on my Dot were fine, I just prefer the looks of the Green Keystone tuners over the kidney shaped ones that come on Epis. They dropped right in. I did have to drill new holes on the back of the headstock for the 12 scerws, no big deal. If you do swap out your tuners and you need to drill new holes, put down som masking tape before you drill to eliminate any cracks in the finish when you drill. I have done this on several guitars and I have never had a problem.

I put a Bigsby on mine also, and I have never had a tuning problem with these tuners, but I also installed a roller bridge.

Archived