Gibson Brands Forums

AJ500R starting to buzz a bit

pilgrimfoot

The AJ500R Masterbuilt. I love this guitar and will keep it forever. I play with a friend who has this big fat Guild and the AJ500R always stands it's ground.

Anyway, it's starting to buzz all over on the E and A (not open, but fretted anywhere on the neck).

I am not avery experienced player, and certainly not a do-it-yourself fixer.

What can be causing this problem? Any quick fix? Is it a sign of a serious problem?

First question, have you changed the strings recently or are you experieincing some major weather changes in your neck of the woods, no then might I suggest that you take it in and make sure everything else is okay, and have it set up by a qualified tech or luthier. Mine go in every other year to make sure the neck relief is doing okay and that there are no issues to worry about.Ship

Some good advise given here!! Might just need a truss rod adjustment. (5 minute fix)

As dubstar says read up on humidity. (needs to be kept around 45--50%)

You can get a cheap room humidifier. Also checkout Planet Waves sound hole humidifier.

Since it is consitently buzzing up and down the neck, my money is on a truss rod adjusment. Take it to a tech.

Or.. a 1/8 turn to the right (clockwise) will raise the headstock. Go 1/8 turn at a time, play a couple songs, then if it still buzzes, go another 1/8 until it quits. I'd be surprised if it took more than a half complete turn to bring it up.

Since it is consitently buzzing up and down the neck' date=' my money is on a truss rod adjusment. Take it to a tech.

Or.. a 1/8 turn to the right (clockwise) will raise the headstock. Go 1/8 turn at a time, play a couple songs, then if it still buzzes, go another 1/8 until it quits. I'd be surprised if it took more than a half complete turn to bring it up.[/quote'] ????? wouldn't tightening the truss rod CAUSE buzz at some point ? I would think that loosening it a bit and providing a lil relief to the neck would lighten/stop the buzz ??? I'm gettin' confused here.... I'd think turnin' clockwise (tightening) would provide less/no relief (straight neck) in effect NOT raising the headstock, but actually moving it the other way.....????? I think....

Yeah, taking it to a trusted shop is a good idea - and while you're at it, ask them if you can observe what they do to it for future reference

Archived