Gibson Brands Forums

Wax removal from pickups?

mrjones200x

High there im using my epiphone Bridge pickup in my strat copy guitar as i need a fairly high output pickup for van halen stuff. Im basically building another replica guitar from bits and bobs. Anyhow ive removed the cover and got most of the wax off by using my finger nail and a screwdriver but there seems to be a waxy residue still on the top around the poles ect. Its there anything i could use to remove this without damaging the pickup?

Thanks.

Will post pics in couple of week of finished project. Be diff to hear the epi pickup uncovered!

Just posted this vid on another thread about beofre/after cover removal;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZO5Olq5tqk

Thanks guys will try the hairdryer method first, sounds easiest and quickest.

Theres a little white wire between the two coils on the humbuck if you was gonna split the coil for single coil use is this where you would do it? and run seperate wire for each side? Not going to do it just wondered?

Thanks guys will try the hairdryer method first' date=' sounds easiest and quickest.

Theres a little white wire between the two coils on the humbuck if you was gonna split the coil for single coil use is this where you would do it? and run seperate wire for each side? Not going to do it just wondered?[/quote']

Yes, but that wire connects to the two ends of the coils under the tape. To split it properly you would need to

open up the pickup by unwinding the tape to expose the soldered connection, then very carefully cut the connection

and attach another wire to the other coil end...not an easy thing to do with #42awg because that wire breaks very

easily.

the difference on my elitist was nowhere near as dramatic, and still if I play it back to back with my friends gibson studio (covered 498T), my friends gibson standard (covered 498T), and my elite SG (covered 60st or whatever they call it...its a damn 498t) there is not really much more sound difference than there would be solely based on the individual wood of each guitar

just my $.02 I don't doubt it makes a difference on some but it seems to depend a lot on the guitar and pickups in question

there is not really much more sound difference than there would be solely based on the individual wood of each guitar

That was one of my questions in my "search for the bottom end" post - does the body wood ultimately

affect the sound of git even with upgraded pickups? No real answer yet. I DO realize that a

Balsa Wood guitar will sound different than a Mahogany guitar.... A balsa Wood git? Spin it on one

finger while playing leads...

yes extremely in some cases

I did everything under the sun to make my g400 sound as nice as my elite sg and it still sounded lifeless in comparison...less volume, less sustain, and less tone overall

you can polish a turd but its still a turd, luckily a polished turd sells better...I put the money towards my elitist lp and couldn't be happier, even though I thought I would have that g400 forever

Archived