Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Pauls

Luap

Right off the bat I can tell you that they're gonna sound different because they have different pickups.

Of course, that doesn't mean "better" - that's up to you. You need to see and play both yourself. You

can also spend some time at the Gibson website and online retailers' websites to familiarize yourself

with the specific features of each guitar.

What Ron said, and also a rule of thumb with Gibson- GENERALLY speaking, it has been my experience but with one notable exception-that the less you pay-the less attention THEY pay-to detail. I'm talking finishing issues like burrs, rough fret edges etc...fundamentally nothing wrong-just a little less time spent on detail. OK, so there's that.

Then you get bangs and whistles for more money- body and neck binding and all of that nice stuff. Much of the extended price is eye candy (very good eye candy)...funadamentally, you want a carved top guitar made of good mahogony with quality hardware. All the Gib LP's give you that and more. An Epiphone LP can sound just as good as any Gibson through the same amp with the same electronics-and not to get into any of that old crap-but just saying-if an Epi can sound as good as a Gibson, any lower end Gib LP can sound as good as any upper level one. It might not be as smooth and nice looking to begin, but those are secondary concerns. Well-not the smooth playing I guess-that is pretty important. But when I say "smoother" we're talking about the subtelties between "very good" and "excellent"-after a good set up and any finishing issues are resolved. That's what I think about it anyhow.

Hi there. Just a quick question: is the sound' date=' of a Gibson LP studio, the same, as a twice as expensive Standard or traditional? Or does it play less fine?

Thanks.[/quote']

In answer to your question. Yes, they sound different.

How does it play? That's the loaded gun.

Ron gave you a good answer. (Right off the bat!) GAS and Sexy have given you some accurate insights.

In todays world of electronics you can make most anything sound very close to almost anything else.

(sorta kinda)....but.....When it comes to playing.....A good guitar is where you find it.

What may be "heavens gift" to me may well be a POS to you.

I know it's not much help but, it is the truth.

Archived