Gibson Brands Forums

epi 56 goldtop lp or epi standard lp?

lpfan

Hey everyone I was just wondering which would be the best purchase. Should I buy the epi 56' gold top lp thats discontinued or should I buy an epi lp standard? The 56 has the P90 pickups and is $150.00 cheaper but both are new 2008's. I just did not know which one would be a better guitar and/or investment and I know that epi's are not worth what a Gibby is but I can't pee money. Thanks for any info. Keep rockin!

I'd go for the Goldtop as well. I love the look of the Epi gold golor for one thing, and for another, I already have two Epi LP's with 'bucker's in them ... and nothing P90 equipped. Have you had a chance to play them both? What did you think of the sound?

I really wouldn't make "investment" a big part of my equasion, lpfan ... go with your ears, gut and heart! Have fun making your decision ... and POST PICS OF THE WINNER!

MIDI

the '56. the standard is just to.......standard. I have nothing against standards, but in your position, i'd go for the goldtop. But i mean just go to a shop and ask to play both ( they'll let you try em ). I like to bring price into my thoiughts when buying and say that with your options prisewise, go for gold.

I recommend that you get familiar with the differences between P90s and humbuckers,

particularly in regard to the use of gain. 60-cycle hum with P90s is also a problem for

some players. New guitars are generally not investments, especially Asian imports

such as Epiphone.

Guest icantbuyafender

the '56 goldtop sir

hands down.

no matter what the music style (minus metal) her tone is beautiful.

get one before theyre gone bud.

Depends on whether you are looking for the P90 or HB sound. I think everyone ought to have one of each, plus a Strat and a Tele. Personally, I 'd buy the HB guitar first. If you already have one, buy the P90 Goldtop. They are different animals.

Archived