Gibson Brands Forums

blasphemy!!!

ralphtown

Just had a call from a mate of mine that does house clearances and clean outs for the local council,here in UK.

He tells me he has found the body of a Fender guitar with no neck but all the electrics.

Its in metal flake red but is a "hard tail".

So,can anyone give me an idea of its model spec or supply me with a URL for a very good Fender forum.

PM me if you wish to protect your identity :)

RALPH

The Fender Forum won,t accept my mail provider,so thats off.

The body is a candy apple red with a hard tail and no trem.

My friend is no guitar player but his daughter has a Squier and he says its the same shape as her guitar,ergo,it must be a Strat of some type.

He has to be careful coz the policy of the council is to dump EVERYTHING from council house(low rent) homes.

Taking useful things home is a deffo NO NO and could lead to dismissal.

So I won,t have it for a couple of days.

I,ve signed up at the Tele forum and am waiting for confirmation e-mail.

Thanks Chaps :)

RALPH

Thinking about getting the '62 reissue. I like short scale. Are they made in California' date=' Japan, or Mexico?[/quote']

The '62 reissues from the American Vintage series are made in Corona, California. I've played a couple, but have never had the privilege of owning one. Lovely guitars, but...

They are a very faithful recreation of a '60s Jaguar. This means that they come with all the foibles, idiosyncrasies, call them what you will. Jags have personality, and can be a bit cranky. Anyone who buys one of these things and expects it to be as easy to set-up and play as a modern-day Strat should think again.

Jaguars were originally built with Jazz in mind. Joe Pass was a fan. The'62 reissues play best with heavy-gauge flatwounds. The flatwounds are important. People string these beasts with regular slinky 9s, and then complain that they go out of tune.

I'm not trying to put you off, but if you are looking for the short-scale and some of the 'feel' of a Jaguar, but modernized to include some of the playability of a Stratocaster, then look at a Mexican-made Classic Player's model instead. Various design features (notably moving the bridge) have been employed in creating this model: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JagCPCAR/

and: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0141700309

Note: these are now retailing at over $1000 at Sweetwater, but are still on sale at GC/MF for $800 - so if you want one, you may wish to move quickly!

I do like Jaguars and Jazzmasters. I had a Fender Japanese Jaguar from 1997 which was a wonderful guitar. Somewhere between the'62 reissue and the new Classic Player's models. Matching headstock, the lot. When there was a parting of the ways with a girlfriend there was also a parting of the ways with the Jaguar, owing to a dispute over money and possession being 9/10s of the law (I had left it in her apartment ](*,) )

For a far more erudite consideration of the pros and cons of buying a Jaguar, this article is excellent reading:

http://www.jag-stang.com/Reviews/review.php?id=208

Lord,

Thanks for the information. I have heard that their bridges can be difficult. There were several guitars that I was gassing for back as a kid in San Diego. One was a Gretsch Tennessean, one was a Fender Jaguar, and one was an SG in cherry (I took car of that last one). Back then, the SG was called the Les Paul model (!), so you know I'm talking about nearly 50 years ago.

I touched one of the Mexican made Jags at GC. The neck was very shiny but extremely smooth and not "sticky" like a just cleaned window. I shudder when people talk about sanding their guitar necks. They just need to do whatever Fender does.

JLS

Archived