Gibson Brands Forums

HELP! buzzing ground problem

hermitoclees

Hello, I am having a ground type buzzing in my epi explorer. I had a tech go through and he followed the ground everywhere, cleaned up some connections and everything is as it should be. BUT ITS STILL BUZZING![-X

The only ground contact he could not get to is the bridge/tailpiece ground because it's inside the body under the press fit gromet things, however when I touch the bridge the buzzing stops, so theoretically it is grounded correctly otherwise the buzz would persist even when I touched it.

I need ideas and HELP! ...its driving me crazy.

You have become ONE with the Ground. Get a cheap Harbor Freight digital

Multi-meter ($2.99), set it to lowest resistance value on scale. With guitar UNPLUGGED

remove back cover plate over knobs. Touch one lead to the bridge in front of git, touch

other lead to where the thin wire from bridge terminates to check for good

connection. If good, should read very close to Zero ohms (harbor frt meter is cheap, may

not 'zackly give you Zero). If resistance shows very high or "infinity/no change", wire

IS broken. After that, put one lead on ground lug for plug-in jack, then touch metal case

on each pot one at a time looking for same results, to verify all are connected to ground.

If any pot reads infinity, no ground, may be cruddy solder joint , or may be wire broken

inside insulation going from that pot to the next grounding point. Pot-to Pot checks are

good to do also...

"Hermitoclees" is a cool name, where did it come from? AND, you MUST post an

appropriate avatar to go with it....

Thanks! Okay, I'll do your test style (or have my tech do it). I read somewhere that the bridge ground is not actually soldered but pressed in with the gromet, true? Now, replacing a length of wire that is exposed is no biggie (if it's broken inside the insulation) but if (hypothetically) the bridge ground is broken, how do I replace it without destroying my guitar?

and I made up Hermitoclees. I am a hermit. ...that's why I got good at guitar, no leaving the house + no friends = great player.

In hindsight, a way to check the bridge gound would be to touch a wire

on the bridge, then on the back of one of the pots (git plugged in), see

if buzzing goes away...

Regarding pulling and replacing the press-in bushings...I'll have to defer

to those with more experience in this area. I've heard stories of WOOD coming

out with the bushing(s) when pulled. Anyone know how?

Old or newer House (wiring)? I live in an old house (2 prong wiring), and things Buzz, that sound like what you're describing, too..(doesn't matter which guitar) here, where they don't in a newer "Three pronged socket" (grounded) wired house.

I live with it! I'm old, too...so, I don't know which will go first, the house...or me?! LOL!

CB

Hello' date=' I am having a ground type buzzing in my epi explorer. I had a tech go through and he followed the ground everywhere, cleaned up some connections and everything is as it should be. BUT ITS STILL BUZZING!:-({|=

[/quote']

If this "tech" knows what he's doing the problem should be easy to determine. Since the wiring itself seems fine I'd start with wiring the pickups direct to output. This should tell you whether it's the PU or the pots by simple deduction. Keep doing that till you find the offending culprit. Sure the PU-switch is OK?

I had a very similar experience, but with a Fender.

The guitar was Fender Tele Deluxe Re-issue with 2 Fender's version of humbuckers.

And that thing buzzed like crazy even with a moderate gain, and the buzzing was gone when I touched any metal parts.

(It had humbucker PUPs, so it was supposed to be quiet---)

BUT it was the ONLY guitar that gave me this buzzing problem.

Using the same amp and same cable and same setup, my other guitars were dead quiet.

Took it to a local tech. But when he plugged it into a couple of amps there, it was dead quiet.

Took it back home, it was buzzing.

The tech could not figure out what was going on...

Being so frustrated, I even did complete re-wiring, changed pots, caps, wires, 3-way switch---.

NOTHING worked!!!

So I figured that for some odd reason, this guitar was interacting my particular amp (Peavey Ultra 212 all-tube) in a certain way that generated the buzz...

And eventually, I got tired of dealing with the buzzing and sold it, got me an Epi Zakk Wylde Custom LP instead...

Now I am much much happier~!!!

But still, I have no idea why that particular guitar was buzzing like that...

Hope you will find the cause of the problem... :-({|=

KY. You'd think it was possessed...

Just wondering. Did you ever try and change the pickups?

Haha, yes, it was quite possible that it was possessed!!!

But no, I did not try a different PUPs.

That Fender's humbuckers were larger than normal humbuckers and I didn't want to shell out over $100 for a set of new Fender PUPs...

Then---, hearing your question---, I had a couple of regular humbuckers in my drawer that I could try by simply hooking them up in place of the stock PUPs...

Man, why did I think of it??? :-({|=

If this "tech" knows what he's doing the problem should be easy to determine. Since the wiring itself seems fine I'd start with wiring the pickups direct to output. This should tell you whether it's the PU or the pots by simple deduction. Keep doing that till you find the offending culprit. Sure the PU-switch is OK?

Yeah I was thinking about the techs qualifications after he couldnt figure it out. ....I maybe should have mentioned that I had the bridge PU replaced. Yes, by the same person. I think he knows what he's doing, but maybe not? The ground buzz started when the new pickup was installed.

OK! new development and questions. I was messing around with the guitar (about to smash it) when the ground buzz finally expressed itself in an identifiable manor. Now when I touch the bridge with my fingers the buzz continues, as opposed to touching any other metal part and the buzzing stops. This means (correct me if I'm wrong) that the ground wire to the bridge is out/broken. ...which also is the most suck-ey place for the ground wire to fail because of it's press fit nature. SO, can anybody advise me on an effective way to repair the bridge ground without pulling the bushings (and probably mangling my instrument)? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Real simple: It's apparently the techs fault. Make him fix it. Period.

well yes' date=' and at no charge. He wants to make it right, that's not the prob. I was just looking for insight on the typical "fix it " in this type of situation.

That could be the problem, a faulty pickup or he got the wiring wrong.

this was checked already, but it was also the FIRST thing I thought was the prob. Now that the bridge is non-grounded I just need some education on how to fix this type of problem ... before I take it up there this weekend.

Archived