Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Goldtop '56

slasher1319

I can't put pics up now, I'm at work and graphics are blocked. The GT in my avatar is my '56 GT. I'm not a P-90 guy, I have tried to like them, but I can't. So, I put a set of Gibson Mini-humbuckers in it. I absolutely love it now. There were no flaws. The original switch, pots and jack are still in it. I did change the tuners to Grover Vintage Green Keystones, just because I like the looks of them over the Grovers that come on the Epis. I also changed the knobs to gold speed knobs and added some pointers. At $499, I would buy it again.

This is one question that you have to answer by going and playing those guitars. It's completely a personal choice. I would always steer someone toward a solid body guitar, purely because I don't care for hollow bodies. Others would think my choice is sacrilege (grin).

Buy the one that turns you on.

I just put my GT in layaway today. I have been eyeballing this one since October. I played it and also played a trans blue epi lp standard. To me the GT was really smooth and the action was nice. The standard just felt completely different to me. The strings felt like they were a mile high. Maybe its just me but I really felt comfortable with the GT. I looked the guitar over and the only flaws I found were around the cutouts for the P90's. There were 2 tiny spots were the line wasn't straight. But we are talking like maybe for a 1/4" if that. It's really barely noticeable. I also figured that it wouldn't really matter because I'm gonna put in a pair of mini's if I don't like the P90's. I'm really happy with my choice so if you find one that sings to you, grab it. Good luck!

A few of you have said you don't like the P90s. Is this just the P90s on the Goldtop or P90s in general? What is it that you don't like about them? I personally love single coil pickups and I'm probably going to change the pickups on my SG to humbucker sized P90s from GuitarFetish.

A few of you have said you don't like the P90s. Is this just the P90s on the Goldtop or P90s in general? What is it that you don't like about them? I personally love single coil pickups and I'm probably going to change the pickups on my SG to humbucker sized P90s from GuitarFetish.

I personally love P90s, and really like the ones that come stock in the 56 GT. I find they have more character and dynamic response than humbuckers. This actually makes sense electronically and is a trade off that you make when you add a second coil in the opposite direction that cancels noise. Humbuckers can be wired hotter (because you don't have to fight with the noise/hum of a singlecoil), but I find they have less musicality to them. It's a matter of taste and what kind of music you play. FWIW, I just bought a Riviera with P94s (P90s in a humbucker footprint) that take my breath away.

Hey guys' date=' Can owners put up all the picture of the epiphone goldtop '56 that they have and tell me every and any flaw they have with it, whether cosmetic or electronic. thanks for this and the pics.[/quote']

I had to take the first 56 GT that I bought back because the neck was warped where it joined the body. This was replaced under warranty. The one I have now has a great neck, however I find that the "Grover" tuners are somewhat sloppy. They have a play in them that I don't find in my new Riviera. Also the selector switch was upside down when it first arrived at my house. This was an easy fix, but just shows that the QA on Epi's stuff is less than stellar. But once you find one you like and get all the bugs worked out, you'll probably find you have a pretty good guitar.

Archived