Gibson Brands Forums

Pups: To choose or not to choose.........

Figstrum

I will be upgrading the pups in my Honey Epi LP. And I'm going politician on all of you.

In all the infinte wisdom that is out there, I will let the people make the decision on which to upgrade my guitar with. Lead the path, and allow your voice to be heard (in this case read) during this time of uncertainty. So let's change the muddy path of failed electronics of the past, and move in to a new era of clear resonance amongst all.

Thank you for participating. :-$

Pickups are personal choice items. You really ought to listen to the audio samples on www.seymourduncan.com before making a choice. Another good selection method is to find out what pickups your favorite "tone" player uses. Remember that the amp has a lot to do with tone, too.

IMHO, SD Pearly Gates are nice clean pickups that distort very nicely and have great response to right hand mute picking.

Gibson 490/498 is a good choice with a little more growl in the bridge when pushed and nice woman tones in the neck.

Pickups are personal choice items. You really ought to listen to the audio samples on www.seymourduncan.com before making a choice. Another good selection method is to find out what pickups your favorite "tone" player uses. Remember that the amp has a lot to do with tone' date=' too.[/quote']

Dave, Thank you for your post.

IMHO' date=' SD Pearly Gates are nice clean pickups that distort very nicely and have great response to right hand mute picking.

Gibson 490/498 is a good choice with a little more growl in the bridge when pushed and nice woman tones in the neck.[/quote']

Pearly Gates, Not big into the ZZ top sound. The 490/498, not into the AC/DC vibe. I have to say, and this might sound ridiculous, but the Slash sound is not bad. Of course, through a Marshall half-stack. Im looking for a clear bluesy sound without having to go to single coils. I figured that the SD's listed would work out ok since they are Jazz pups they pick up at lot of highs, which might work good for ol'timer blues.

Thank you for your reply.

Slash uses Seymour Duncan's Alnico II Pros.

IMO They're warm and sweet in the highs, but have a tendency to get mushy in the lows at Hi-gain settings.

For a "clear blues" sound I'd look at a SH2 Jazz, or a SH1 '59 if you like it a bit brighter.

Pearly Gates' date=' Not big into the ZZ top sound. The 490/498, not into the AC/DC vibe. I have to say, and this might sound ridiculous, but the Slash sound is not bad. Of course, through a Marshall half-stack. Im looking for a clear bluesy sound without having to go to single coils. I figured that the SD's listed would work out ok since they are Jazz pups they pick up at lot of highs, which might work good for ol'timer blues.

Thank you for your reply. [/quote']

Listen to some Dickie Betts licks. He's a Pearly Gates fan who now that he is a Gibson sponsored artist says that he likes what they give him and doesn't change them out. On Most of the ABB cd's he's playing Pearlies.

Slash uses Seymour Duncan's Alnico II Pros.

IMO They're warm and sweet in the highs' date=' but have a tendency to get mushy in the lows at Hi-gain settings.

For a "clear blues" sound I'd look at a SH2 Jazz, or a SH1 '59 if you like it a bit brighter.[/quote']

Im looking pretty seriously at the SD sh2 and sh4 jb for that brighter tone. Thank you for the suggestion.

Archived