Gibson Brands Forums

Who should the quality really be blamed on?

PP_CS336

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Talking about quality' date=' I have had my Epiphone Plus top for about 3 months now but had never plugged it in..Basically I had no time at all as it was the end of semester and jobs and stuff and most of all I hadn't bought an amp yet..and last week I got an amp, a processor, changed the strings and finally plugged it in and to find out the pickup selector was wired the opposite way and the bridge pickup was dead ! I didn't have time to check it out at the store as well so I just went off with it..oh yes, this one I found out after i bought it, that the back plastic plates were opposite as well..The plastic covering was inside and the rough part one was outside...anyway I have an warranty to clear things up but whats with the QC ?? are they dozing off !!'](*,) zzzzzz !!

The pickup selector switch probably got turned around. The nuts are sometimes marginally tightened and that happens. Bridge pickup...try flipping the selector switch back and forth 15 or 20 times and the bridge pickup may work again. Otherwise, when the switch got turned around, a wire could have broken off the lug.

The plastic plates on the back are all shiny side in. The exposed side is supposed to be a grained finish, although I thought the same thing as you when I first saw an Epi back side.l

Tonewood doesn't mean much when there is a heavy layer of plastic covering it.

I'm not convinced that "tonewood" means as much as we're led to believe whether it's covered in plastic, nitro, metal or chocolate. I think there may be some general characteristics of different types of wood (maybe), but in solid body electrics, I'm skeptical. I think this is one more marketing sound byte we're swallowing. In the last waltz (The Band's farewell concert), Robbie Robertson had his strat body plated with some kind of gold metal because he thought it would look cool. He switched half way through the gig because the sucker was so heavy he couldn't hold it any longer (something like 20lbs, I think he said), but when he switched to another, nitro finished strat, I couldn't tell any difference tone-wise. Plastic isn't as romantic/nostalgic as nitro laquer, but I'm not convinced any of us could tell the difference between two LPs that were A/B'd, all else being equal.

Just sayin'.....

Play any of the solidbody guitars or semihollows without the benefit of an amplifier, and you'll immediately notice the lack of tone being produced by the so-called tonewood. If I want tonewoods, I'll get an acoustic that is barely being held together by glue against the pull of heavy guitar strings on a 25.5 scale neck, and put a pickup on it. Naw, I'll keep playing solid body or semi-hollows with my Line6 amp, and get the tone I want one way or another. This is the 21st century. I ain't Segovia.

I'm not convinced that "tonewood" means as much as we're led to believe whether it's covered in plastic' date=' nitro, metal or chocolate. I think there may be some general characteristics of different types of wood (maybe), but in solid body electrics, I'm skeptical. I think this is one more marketing sound byte we're swallowing. In the last waltz (The Band's farewell concert), Robbie Robertson had his strat body plated with some kind of gold metal because he thought it would look cool. He switched half way through the gig because the sucker was so heavy he couldn't hold it any longer (something like 20lbs, I think he said), but when he switched to another, nitro finished strat, I couldn't tell any difference tone-wise. Plastic isn't as romantic/nostalgic as nitro laquer, but I'm not convinced any of us could tell the difference between two LPs that were A/B'd, all else being equal.Just sayin'.....[/quote']
Play any of the solidbody guitars or semihollows without the benefit of an amplifier' date=' and you'll immediately notice the lack of tone being produced by the so-called tonewood. If I want tonewoods, I'll get an acoustic that is barely being held together by glue against the pull of heavy guitar strings on a 25.5 scale neck, and put a pickup on it. Naw, I'll keep playing solid body or semi-hollows with my Line6 amp, and get the tone I want one way or another. This is the 21st century. I ain't Segovia.[/quote']

Shhhhhhhhhh!:-

This post has gone on so long that I thought I would just say hi just so I could add another post. The problem is in the QC. I don't wanna pay more but I could justify if the QC was good. We shouldn't have to pay more if the quality is going down. Thats a no brainer. But like CB said, we don't have to buy it either.

Archived