Gibson Brands Forums

two projects coming up

TWANG

There are some guys at another forum who use black and decker reciprocating sanders.. with very mild steel wool pads..

they take a gloss off without removing the finishing.. the reciprocating action doensn't leave ANY scratches or lines..

I've seen some real beautys done this way.

It thins the finish, dulls it a bit. .so you add some good polish when you're done.

One guy didn't even take his apart. he just pushed parts into the hole and taped 'em over.

I bought the tool but I haven't had time for my lp studio which has the thick plasticy gloss finish.

TWANG

• 5 months later...

I've never done anything like this with a guitar before. I was really starting to dislike the poly on this Epiphone LP Custom Plus. After playing some Gibson Les Pauls and, of course, my Faded V, I didn't like not being able to see and feel the wood. I used a variety of tools: an orbital sander, a palm sander, sanding blocks, wet/dry papers with and without water, an electric drill with sanding drums, and a Dremel, which removed material a little too quickly even for me.

Once I had bare wood, I used MinWax Red Mahogany stain. After that, Stewart-MacDonald fretboard finishing oil, three coats. With apologies to Gibson and their BFG, it's a barely finished guitar. Only the top and the face of the headstock still retain poly.

It sounds amazing. I couldn't be happier with it.

P1010092.jpg

P1010098.jpg

P1010091.jpg

P1010100.jpg

P1010097.jpg

I've never done anything like this with a guitar before. I was really starting to dislike the poly on this Epiphone LP Custom Plus. After playing some Gibson Les Pauls and' date=' of course, my Faded V, I didn't like not being able to see and feel the wood. I used a variety of tools: an orbital sander, a palm sander, sanding blocks, wet/dry papers with and without water, an electric drill with sanding drums, and a Dremel, which removed material a little too quickly even for me.

Once I had bare wood, I used MinWax Red Mahogany stain. After that, Stewart-MacDonald fretboard finishing oil, three coats. With apologies to Gibson and their BFG, it's a barely finished guitar. Only the top and the face of the headstock still retain poly.

It sounds amazing. I couldn't be happier with it.

[img']http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/Jessie_Sammler/P1010092.jpg[/img]

Thats EXELLENT work there Jessie !!!!!!!

I'm liking that so much that i'm going to borrow the industrial heat-gun that I work with, remove the PVC overcoating, use some good steel-wool, and turn this "clownburst" into a more vintage looking Cherry Sunburst.

I'll say it again.......EXELLENT !!!

GarysCam091.jpg

Archived